cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing Nightmares

ahochau_2
Level 1
Level 1

I had high hopes for the "new" licensing model for migrating users to 10, but it is still a miserable experience. 

Customer #1:

Customer worked with Cisco to figure out what they needed in CUWL licensing and had the migration licenses for the new cluster in hand before the upgrade.  Prior to the upgrade we had plenty of DLU's to have all of our devices be in compliance.  After the upgrade and applying the new licenses, we get the error that we are out of compliance.  After several weeks of trying to figure out why if we were in compliance before the upgrade, and we added no new devices, are we out of compliance after the upgrade, Cisco licensing came back with "well, you need to buy more licenses." 

Customer #2:

This time they did not work with cisco before hand, but they were in compliance before the upgrade not incompliance after the upgrade.  No new devices were added.  Three weeks into it and Cisco is asking for Sales Order numbers for all licensing purchases going back to CCM 4. 

Customer #3:

ESW/UCSS was all current.  We did the upgrade.  Again, in compliance before the upgrade.  After the upgrade, Cisco will not provide the new licenses because the contract is not associated with my CCO ID.  The customer is struggling to find the right contract number because according to their records I am using the right contract.

Cisco needs to figure out a better way, this was supposed to be easier and less stressful.   

1 Reply 1

Jeff Bankston
Level 1
Level 1

The key to it is setting the Owner User ID field on the base phone page in UCM to the proper owner of the phone. When the OUI is set to one person per phone, you're consuming Enhanced licensing. When the OUI is two physical phones, this is Enhanced Plus. Above 2, you are now in CUWL Std licensing.

When you upgrade _before_ correcting the OUI issue, this carries forward into the UC 10 which is no longer DLU based licensing mechanism. So when Cisco sees the LCT output like this, they think you're all in need of CUWL licensing.

Previously, GLO used to come back and ask you how you wanted the DLU count allocated by license type, not anymore I am seeing.

Best case is for you to correct the OUI, and generate an output of licensing and ask GLO to allocate the DLUs according to the licensing output. Also, be advised that GLO is probably going to ask you to provide all the original sales order numbers to prove that the client has bought all the proper license before. Lastly, you can get some degree of help by providing all of the original .lic files to GLO and prove what was licensed before the upgrade to 10.

-Jeff