Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS CUCM (71.5), CUC (7.1.5) and UCCX (8.0.2) to 10.x to UCS Migrations 10.x

mark-cummings
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am requiring an Upgrade from the following versions on MCS to UCS platforms for EMEA Region:-

CUCM Version (7.1.5) MCS

CUC Version (7.1.5) MCS

UCCX Version (8.0.2) MCS

These will all go onto UCS and Version 10.x as below:-

CUCM Version (10.5) UCS

CUC Version (10.5) UCS

UCCX Version (10.6) UCS

The environment is 24x7x52, so the planning of Downtime is most important aspect. This is where I would appreciate your input into the Migration Planning to minimise Downtime:-

• What is optimum order for the UC's
  • Does it have to be a Big Bang, as all the UC Solutions are dependant on compatibility of other UC Versions?
  • On initial look, I was planning to perform a M1 Migration with CUCM, which allows me to also do it initially under new IP\Hostnames and therefore perform some testing
  • Can i use PCD for CUC migration?
  • Can i use PCD for UCCX migration?
  • I'm not a UCCX guy, so can anyone suppluy useful preparartion, planning, migration and SAT\UAT for the UCCX element?
  • Is there any value in converting the the DLU Licencing to CUWL Licencing at same stage? Do Cisco do any promotions on this to minimise the cost impact to client?

Many thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi mark-cummings,

about the VG202 and Cisco3825 ... it is possible to configure them in CUCM version 10.x (although they did not appear in the CSR Summary Matrix), but they are not fully tested by Cisco and won't receive new firmware upgrades after the EoL.

Note: another example is IP Comm.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mark-cummings
Level 1
Level 1

I was planning, and correct me if i am wrong:-

1. Install new UCS boxes
  2. Create Production vSwitch, for PCD etc and communication between Production and BlackHole
  3. Create a Black Hole vSwitch (for temporary builds\migrations etc) and have same CU Solution IP's on. This will allow for same IP's to be used in a Production and Build\Migrate scenarios
  4. Bring Endpoints up to same Firmware in current CUCM Cluster
  5. Install PCD in Production vSwitch (would this be able to see both Production and BlackHole devices for the M1 Migration?)
  6. Perform M1 Migration of CUCM into BlackHole vSwitch (same IP addresses)
  7. Install CUC Primary in BlackHole vSwitch (same IP addresses)
  8. Install UCCX Primary in BlackHole vSwitch (same IP addresses)
  9. Backup\PUT on current UCCX
  10. Restore Backup onto UCCX Primary in BlackHole vSwitch
  11. Upgrade UCCX Primary to 10.6(1) in BlackHole vSwitch
  12. Perform COBRAS on current CUC
  13. Restore Malboxes and Users onto CUC Primary in BlackHole vSwitch
  14. Re-IP CUCM (to new IP's) in BlackHole vSwitch
  15. Build CUCM Subscribers in BlackHole vSwitch
  16. Re-IP CUC Primary (to new IP's) in BlackHole vSwitch
  17. Build CUC Secondary in BlackHole vSwitch
  18. Re-IP UCCX Primary (to new IP's) in BlackHole vSwitch
  19. Build UCCX HA in BlackHole vSwitch
  20. SAT's for CUCM, CUC and UCCX in BlackHole vSwitch
  21. Move CUCM, CUC, UCCX to Production vSwitch
  22. Update Gateway IP's for new UC Solutions
  23. Update DHCP Scopes for Endpoints
  24. Install new CAD for Agents
  25. UAT's for CUCM, CUC and UCCX in BlackHole vSwitch
  26. Go-Live
  27. Decommission old CUCM\CUC\UCCX

Would the above minimise downtime? I would imagine only downtime would be for Steps:-

• 4 Firmware Updates
  • 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 for Migration Day\Weekend

What gotchas are in above?

Anyone please print out any glaring issues in my initial plan.

Thank you in advance.

Hi mark-cummings,

remember that you are going to use a PLM (Prime License Manager) server in version 10.5 that didn't exist in your 7.1(5) environment, for license registration.

You should use the LCU (License Count Utility) tool to generate the new license before you start your upgrade process ... pass the LCU result to licensing@cisco.com.

Hope this helps.

I was aware, but thank you Marcelo for pointing out for anyone else who may look at this Post.

Another question for those more familiar with PCD and M1 Migrations.

If I build my new UC Solutions in a BlackHole vSwitch (to hide the Production from the BlackHole Build environment and keep same IP\Hostnames) behind a Firewall NAT.......can I omit the Shutdown part of Process (original CUCM Servers)?

Aim of this is approach is:-

• minimise any downtime while performing the Migration to Production Environment
  • stop Cisco Endpoints needing to re-register between Subscribers during Migration
  • stop need to update VGW's, DHCP Scopes etc as part of Migration

When reday to go intro Production, I would then shutdown the Original IPT Solutions and then move the NEW UC Solutions from the BlackHole vSwitch onto the Production vSwitch.

Again, many thanks in advance.

Hi mark-cummings,

my recommendation is ... unplug the cable of the original CUCM or shutdown the SW port that the original CUCM is connected to ... this way, if you have any problem, it will be easier to put the system back online, without waiting for the "power on process".

Hope this helps.

Also, can anyone tell me if the Cisco 3725 is a Device still in CUCM 10.5? I know its EOS, but is it still there as an option to configure?

Or MUST I replace with another model (Cisco 3925)?

Also, can anyone tell me if the VG202 is a Device still in CUCM 10.5? I know its EOL, but is it still there as an option to configure?

Or MUST I replace with another model (VG320)?

Hi mark-cummings,

about the VG202 and Cisco3825 ... it is possible to configure them in CUCM version 10.x (although they did not appear in the CSR Summary Matrix), but they are not fully tested by Cisco and won't receive new firmware upgrades after the EoL.

Note: another example is IP Comm.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Marcelo

mark-cummings
Level 1
Level 1

Another Question.....on the UCCX side, i am planning (as part of Phase 1) to keep the Agents on CAD and upgrading CAD on their PC's.

We will then migrate to Finesse as part of the Re-Design of all US Solutions.

• Is there any re-configuration required for CAD deployment?
  • OR, is it a straight forward MSI deployment with new Version pointing to new UCCX Servers?

Cheers in advance.