cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message notification won't accept digits

jcraven
Level 1
Level 1

We are using Unity v. 4.0(3), and we have message notification configured to dial cell phones. Notifcation call works, but users cannot enter any digits to begin the message playback. The attendant just keeps repeating 'please enter your ID'. The PSTN gateway is H323 with FXO cards. Call transfer is unsupervised.

I'm not sure what to try next. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,

Jerry

5 Replies 5

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unity is not getting dtmf. Do you have this statement?

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

H. M.

That's a good thought, but dtmf-relay applies to VOIP dial-peers only, but these are POTS dial-peers dialing out to the PSTN. at any rate, i do have dtmf relay turned on an eery VOIP dial peer on my gateway, just in case.

thanks,

jerry

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this problem unique to Message Notification or does DTMF also fail when calls are placed from the cell phone into Unity?

The first thing to check is that DTMF-relay is prperly enabled on the gateway. Since your question is specific to cell phones, I'll assume notification to non-cell phones across this gateway work fine. In which case, DTMF-relay is probably not the problem.

So the next thing to check is that the DTMFs sent by the cell provider are being detected by the gateway. Some cell phones have an option of sending long versus short DTMF. See if one or the other works better.

Finally, you can use Port Status Monitor in the Unity Tools Depot to watch incoming calls. If the digits are making it into Unity, they should show up here.

-Eric

Thanks for the helpful thoughts, Eric. The problem is unique to Message Notification. The problem affects any phone, not just cell phones.

When any phone calls in, DTMF digits work fine. Good idea on the cell-phone specific DTMF settings, and I did set that to long on a cell phone, to no avail. Not a bad idea to turn that on anyway, though.

I'll keep digging.

Thanks,

Jerry

You need to make sure that a dial peer with DTMF-relay gets used for the voip leg of outbound calls too. This can be the same dial peer used by inbound calls. You just need to add the incoming called-number <#> command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a0080094607.shtml