cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Messages do not open with Viewmail

smoran69
Level 1
Level 1

We have a user who is complaining that some voice messages he receives appear as an email with a wav attachment rather than a viewmail message. In other words, it looks like unity did not tag the message as a voicemail message so exchange is treating it like a regular email with a wav attachment. I checked the subsciber report and verified that this message was actually left as a voicemail. This seems to happen at random and relatively rarely. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sean

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's not likely that Unity is just forgetting to tag a message as a voice mail (i.e. with a message class of IPM.Note.voice.Unity and the appropriate media flags). It's more likely that another process is interfering (i.e. something at the desktop or a virus scanning application or the like).

If they have a voice mail message that just opens as a mail with an attached WAV file, I'd be interested in a couple things:

1. Can you get at the message over the phone interface.

2. What's the message class set for (you can look at this in Outlook by adding the Message Class column to the view window there).

Make sure the message hasn't been forwarded from someone/thing with a client that doesn't preserve the extended MAPI properties (i.e. Outlook Express).

I have a similar proble that happens very infrequently. When a message is forwarded it comes through to the recipient as a .wav attachment. This is very rare, but annoying. I have an corporate Exchange 2003 SP2 server and all of my email clients are Outlook 2003. Unity is Windows 2000/Exchange 2000. I'm not sure what to make of this, but would like to solve the issue.

I will attempt to retrieve the message over the phone next time it happens, but as far as I can remember you cannot. You have to save the message to the PC and listen to it through Media Player.

The message class is IPM.Note on one I have saved.

Please let me know what you can.

Thanks - Mike

I just received a meesage the was not accessible with VM or the phone. It was also classified is an IPM.Note only. I asked the user if it was accessible before the forward and it was. That user re-forwarded the message to me and it came in correctly as a IMP.Note.Voice.Unity class. These are all internal forwards from Outlook 03. Any thoughts?

Mike

I found out that the initial forward metioned above was from Outlook Web Access. Not sure if anyone else uses this application or not, but ViewMail is not a part of OWA. This may be our culperate.

Mike

cchristo77
Level 1
Level 1

we've had a problem quite frequently that viewmail is disabled in Outlook. we usually see this when Outlook hung during startup or shutdown.

if Outlook disabled it, in Outlook 2003 you can click on help about Microsoft Office Outlook. there should be a disabled Items button. there should be an addin listed in the viewmail if it's disabled. click on it and hit enable. Close and re-open Outlook and viewmail should be loaded.