Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from DLU based Lic to CUWL STD Lic

Hi,

One of my customer is running on CUCM 7.1.2 and planning to migrate on CUCM 10.5. Currently, there are 07 separate Clusters having approx 5300 DLUs in total out of which 1650 used, 3650 remaining.

I am planning to propose CUWL STD on CUCM 10.5 but not sure how many actual licenses are needed w.r.to the existing DLU nos ( given above). request if there is any full proof guidelines available to perform DLU to CUWL license Migration.

Best Regards

5 Replies 5

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use the LCU utility. You can download this from cisco website and run the report. It should provide you an estimate, you can also share the output of this LCU and information on your existing DLUs to Cisco GLO team by emailing: licensing@cisco.com - they should be able to assist you as well.

LCU should let you run reports for multiple cluster as well - its been a while i did this- but refer to below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/uct/9_1_2/CUCM_BK_U0AE00F5_00_uct-admin-guide/CUCM_BK_U0AE00F5_00_uct-admin-guide_chapter_0100.html

Typing from a mobile device but The above link should have sufficient info.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

[+5] to Terry for explaination.

Hi Mandeep,

you can refer the attached sample LCU report which gives breakup of what all DLU are used/unused along with UCL /CUWL licenses required.

you need to run LCU from the PC from where CUCM PUB is reachable.you need to eneter Application username and password. and make sure that has Standard aXL API access role assigned.

regds,

aman

We've just been through this again with 7.1-->10.6 and 8.5-->10.6 upgrades.

Basically there is 0% connection between what the LCU tells you is 'technically configured' in CUCM and what is 'commercially under UCSS or SWSS  Contracts'. This means you have to bridge the gap manually by doing the steps below.

The Rel 9.1 LCU will show lots of Enhanced, maybe some Essential but will not show you anything useful regarding CUWL in CUCM 7.1

1. Count your users which becomes the indication for how many CUWL STD you may need.
  2. LCU ignores Unity Connection voice mailboxes so you'll need to count them separately to use when you submit the license migration case to Cisco GLO. The lic' mig' case to GLO may e.g. have "Qty CUWL + Qty Enhanced with voicemail = Qty voice mailboxes please"
  3. Conference room and shared space phones don't need an Owner so will be counted as Enhanced or Essential depending on phone model. Count them.
  4. Count all your analogue and cheap-as phones as Essential.
  5. Associating an 'Owner User ID' to each and every user's phone device is how you transform Enhanced to CUWL. I'm not even sure Owner User ID is available below CUCM 7.1.5. It is possible with CUCM 8.6 and can be done after your upgrade (but before the license migration case goes to Cisco GLO) so that customer can understand what shape an SWSS Contract will have for Essential, Enhanced, CUWL, voicemail etc.
  6. Re-run the LCU after doing Owner User ID on user's phones and see the difference.
  7. Cisco GLO will require valid UCSS / SWSS Contract numbers before they'll process the lic' mig' case, which will need to be completed within the 60 day demo license grace period after CUCM and PLM are installed/upgraded.

Hi Terry/Aman,

Thanks a lot for prompt and accurate response. But " Houston , we have a problem here"

a) I am not Local to the CUCM PUB so can't run and Manage the LCU Reports.

b) The Site Engineer gave me few more addtional info which creating more confusion on the exact CUWL STD lic required.

c) I am not having access for Support/Service Request tool to validate the things and Upgrade Readiness Assessment tool didn't help much.

Site History ( manual fig) info say:

Total DLUs : 5300

Used DLUs: 1650

Remaining DLUs: 3650

Max nos of users: (not sure of this parameter) : 4550

Total nos of active IP Phones/end points: 660

Now there can be two baseline info to derive the equivalent  CUWL STD Licenses :

a)  Total DLUs / 11 (  considering 11 DLUs per CUWL STD Lic) which comes to 482 and forgot about Max Users or Total active End points.

Problem : New Lic would be way less then end points

b) Consider the count of total active end points (660 nos) and perform the CCW CUWL STD Migration with exact the count of active end points Only.

Benefit: New CUWL STD will cover all the active end points.

Problem : it may override the LCU Methodology and License conversion policy.

Kindly Suggest !

Did not understand what do you mean by

c) I am not having access for Support/Service Request tool to validate the things and Upgrade Readiness Assessment tool didn't help much.

Is it that you do not have CCOid to download LCU or do not have valid ESW/UCSS contract to perform upgrades?Can u  clarify.

regds,

aman