cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Move mailbox to another user

tfelmly
Level 1
Level 1

I'm very new to Unity and IP Tel. in general. Our university just switched over to IP Tel and Cisco Unity. The system was thrown in my lap and I am learning as I go so don't be to hard on me if this is simple....

AD accounts were imported into Unity a few weeks ago. Since then a few people have left the college and new employees have since been hired. They are using the same DN's that the old user had and have customized their Unity VM. Problem is the mailbox is still using the old user's Exchange alias. I'd really like to move the user's mailbox to their own alias but haven't a clue where to start.

I was told to just go to the users account in AD and change the alias under Exchange General to the new person. Then after Unity has updated it I can just change the user's name, etc. Is this the way to do it?

Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you update the user information in AD, Unity will automatically be updated as well. In addition to changing the Exchange alias, you will want to rename the account (Right-click -> Rename) and change the information on the email addresses tab to reflect the new user.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

So what you are saying rather than create a new AD account for the new user I should just edit the old users account updating the name info, AD login, and Exchange alias to reflect the new user?

That's the quickest way of getting it done and it allows the user to keep their recorded name, greeting, password, etc. One thing that this process does not change is the name of the stream files (recorded names and greetings) in c:\commserver\stream files on the Unity server. So, if you change account John Doe to Jim Smith, you will still see the stream files named based on John Doe's account. That could be confusing if you (or someone in the future) needs to do something manual with those files and can't find Jim Smith's files because they are named based on the John Doe account. That being said, I think the cleanest option is to delete the old accounts and add new.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

The other option is to check out the Migrate Subscriber Data tool:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MigrateSubscriberData.htm

this lets you point a subscriber at a different AD/Exchange account if you need to - check out the help and the training video on its home page for details.