cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Expressway-C and -E to new ESXi Host failed.

Nathan Millward
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I just tried to move half of our Expressway cluster to new ESXi hosts as the old hosts are rapidly approaching end-of-support. 

I read in the X8.7 VM install guide: "If you need to move Expressway to a new host you must perform a host migration via vMotion." 

So proceeded with a shutdown on the old host and brought the servers up on the new host, both the host chassis drop off the same TOR switch, but upon restart there was a problem: 

"Invalid release key: Release key is missing: the system is in demonstration mode and has limited functionality."  

I noticed I'd connected the wrong NIC first time round to the -E server (put it on the private LAN instead of public), so corrected that and restarted the server, but it didn't help. 

I migrated the -E server back to its old home. But that didn't help either, so migrated the -C server back too, and that sorted things out. 

I've recently migrated all sorts of CUCM servers this way because of expiring hardware, and everything has been fine (all 10.5.2 versions). 

What did I miss/do wrong with Expressway X8.5? Is something tied to hardware?

Thanks.

0 Replies 0