cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need FAX server configuration assistance

sky_voice
Level 1
Level 1

We are having Fax Server <-SIP-> CUCM 8.03 <-MGCP-> Gateway deployment. We have tested our inbound and outbound faxing and it working great.

Now we have added new sites. And we want new gateway of this site should be utilized for outbound faxing for the respective office FAX calls. Since our FAX is the external entity we want it to understand like, if New-York user sends outbound FAX it should use New-York gateway PRI. If Chicago user sends outbound FAX it should use Chicago gateway.

At the moment it is not recognizing which gateway to be used based on User. And selects only default gateway which I had mentioned in the Device pool. And the device pool which I have assigned it to the SIP trunk between FAX server and CUCM.

As far as Dial plan is concern we are relying on CUCM since our gateways is on MGCP.

I understand from the configuration that, in our scenario phone uses Local route group feature within Device pool to choose the gateway.

I would like to understand what configuration will require to get this intelligence might be on the FAX server or on the CUCM server.

Many thanks,

1 Reply 1

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

As you mentioned Local Route group looks in the DP for each user- correct. When you state a NY user makes a call- how do they do this? You have a fax server so does a user send from their P.C and then the fax server sends it ? If so then the local Route group will not work as the connection from and to the fax server will use a single DP so a single Local Route group. From a configuration point of view

Questions

1. Do you want TEHO to reduce calls, or calls to go out from the fax server location?

2. When a fax is sent what Fax ID/ Telephone number is shown on the fax paper- a single number i.e FAX sever number or a local number?

If you do not care about TEHO then you can just route the call centrally, if you do wish to have TEHO then where the user is does not matter as it is the destination which determines the O/G call.

If you do want "userbased" routing i.e NY User sends a fax regardless of where to then route out from NY GW , Chicago user routes out via a Chicago GW etc then the best way is for the fax server when it sends out the call on behalf of a NY users is to add a prefix so to force the call to a NY GW even if you have TEHO Route patterns, If a Chicago user sends a fax then the server adds a different prefix to identify a Chicago GW.

If you route out centrally but wish to give the impression it is a local call then you need to configure the fax server to add different numbers to the fax id. The "local ID " numbers terminate on the local Gateway- you then route the inbound call to the central fax server