cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question: I'm trying to setup SNMP and simulate an alarm.

quadrider1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm new to Cisco UC CUCM platform.  I'm trying to setup alarming via SNMP.  I have setup 1/2c SNMP/Traps and V3 with no luck in using the "utils snmp test" command via CLI.  I have followed all the config steps in both 1/2c and v3 with no luck.  We can generate alarms internally via RTMT but cant generate them out to Solarwinds.  Do I need to enable alarms via CLI?  The alarm we have been testing with is the phone registration and deregistration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

7 Replies 7

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jeremy,

If you are trying to monitor CUCM with Solarwinds, then you need VNQM module and licensing in Solarwinds. You need to configure the following on Solarwinds side:

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/VNQM/Content/VNQM-GSG-Add-Call-Mgr-to-VNQM.htm 

If you are just trying to get alerts from RTMT via email, you need to setup SMTP configuration in CUCM.

HTH
Rajan
Please rate all useful posts by clicking the star below and mark solutions as accepted wherever applicable

Hi Rajan,

I am trying to get alerts for monitoring.  I like using RTMT and I do see where I can setup the SMTP.  I will test it out once I know I can access the email server.

Much appreciated

Jeremy

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I spent a moment trying to set this up myself to a trap receiver, and utlis snmp test didn't actually result in anything occurring via SNMP that I could see, but in my NMS (CA Spectrum) I don't see a syslog table even there. I tried it as both v1 and v2c. It does generate syslog messages, including a RTMT alert for an Emergency alarm, so perhaps it intends for your NMS to be monitoring the syslog table for alarms.

It may be sending a trap for new syslog message but I don't see if it if is.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for you input.  I started getting syslog messages with some generated alerts in them.  I guess that's progress.  I tried this command to generate an alarm but all I get is an error message.  Of course, with the added string and transmitter IP Address.  It was in the SNMP configuration document but apparently it doesn't work or I'm doing something wrong.  Any suggestions?

snmpset -c <Community String> -v 2c <transmitter ip address> 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.156.1.9.2.0 i <value>

Invalid command, a dash character must be preceded by an alphanumeric character

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not the best with SNMP either, but my only guess would be that perhaps your community string had a - in it and needed to be single quoted? By transmitter IP in this case you're referring to a UCM?

That worked for me as a test to a CCM I had added a r/w community to, that my station was at. snmpget showed it as 0, I set it to some number, got it, back to 0.

Hi Adam,

So the guides say to use this string to test alarms:

snmpset -c <community string> -v2c <transmitter ipaddress> 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.156.1.9.4.0 i <value>

Where it says community string I put in my built community string and Transmitter IP is my CM.  Here is my example.

I input snmpset -c public -v2c cm 

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.156.1.9.4.0 i  Thats when i get the dash error code.  do I need to add or remove something?

Thanks

Jeremy

Other than you need to put a value after the i (integer) I don't know what would cause that error, sorry.