Helpful
Replies

NS lookup from Expressway-CE Network utilities send error querying SRV

david.alfaro1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dears,

I hope you are doing well.

We have a MRA deployment working well, SRV records are OK and the devices register successfully.

However we found something weird when using the Maintenance --> Tools--> Network Utilities --> DNS lookup.

When we try to solve _cisco-uds._tcp.internaldomain, using the page  DNS lookup utility, no result is presented.

Also we tried to do it using CLI and we get the following stuff:

~ # nslookup
> server 172.18.252.213
Default server: 172.18.252.213
Address: 172.18.252.213#53
> set type=srv
> _cisco−uds._tcp.internaldomain
Server: 172.18.252.213
Address: 172.18.252.213#53

** server can't find _cisco\226\136\146uds._tcp.internaldomain: NXDOMAIN

"Internaldomain" is used instead of the real domain.

Only A records are solved correctly using the utility, but no SRV records even they are configured properly in the DNS server

Since SRVs and A records are OK,  MRA is working fine. We do not know why the utility is throwing these weird error. There is something we are doing incorrectly? have you ever facing something like that ?

Expressway severs are X14.3.4

Kind regards

davidalfaro1_0-1719967362463.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Just tested on my Exp. If nothing is there, you won't see any results --> so either the SRV is not there, or Exp can't find it.
What do you see if you search for "host" --> "internaldomain" and "query type" --> "all"

As @Nithin Eluvathingal mentioned, Jabber / Exp-C won't look for "internaldomain", but for the domain used to login in Jabber --> any external domain (most of the times the domain of the email address)
You don't need SRV's in the internal domain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

_cisco-uds._tcp.internaldomain is used for the jabber internally and not for the MRA device as the MRA device use _collab-edge. SRV. What exactly you trying to figure out.

You should be able to retrieve the SRV records from the expressway CLI using the commands you shared  and from GUI  if they are correctly placed on the DNS.  I have verified this on my Expressway and the SRV records are resolved from the Command Line Interface (CLI). I’m not sharing it here due to certain restrictions.

Response Signature

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Just tested on my Exp. If nothing is there, you won't see any results --> so either the SRV is not there, or Exp can't find it.
What do you see if you search for "host" --> "internaldomain" and "query type" --> "all"

As @Nithin Eluvathingal mentioned, Jabber / Exp-C won't look for "internaldomain", but for the domain used to login in Jabber --> any external domain (most of the times the domain of the email address)
You don't need SRV's in the internal domain.

Hello B.winter

Thank you a lot for your suggestion. As you told us, we queried only "internaldomain" (without _cisco-uds._tcp) and the result was available and the SRV's were solved correctly.

Although is some strange it does not solve explicitly "_cisco-uds._tcp.internaldomain" for any reason. However, it is OK

Kind regards

davidalfaro1_0-1720046799152.png