cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone firmware upgrade in conjuction with CUCM upgrade 8.6 to 10.5 w/ PCD

Mary Manly
Level 1
Level 1

So, background is current phones on firmware 4.2.1 (79xx's) on CUCM ver 8.6 - this came as part of a device package I installed.

Desire: Upgrade to CUCM ver. 10.5 and end up on the same phone firmware.

Background: Using PCD for the upgrade from 8.6 to 10.5, both on VMware. Have device package for CUCM ver. 10.5 that matches the firmware running in the device package currently installed on CUCM 8.6

Steps: using PCD, designate new servers to migrate to and upgrade to 10.5 then pause and install Device Package, before switching versions to 10.5.

Can I accomplish this without the phones reverting to the firmware version that comes with 10.5 along the way? The version that is native to CUCM 10.5 for 79xx phones is: 9.3(1)SR1. It seems like with the pause option I should be able to install the device package after it installs 10.5 and before it reboots and any phones register to it.

Right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mary,

Your background and steps are contradictory.   Are you upgrading using PCD or are you migrating using PCD?  They are very different operation.  But I believe the answer to your question will be the same.  Bottom line is that you want the default firmware for your Wireless 792x devices to be the same when you reach the 10.5 version.   That is not a problem.  The best way to handle it is to upgrade or migrate the cluster, then on the publisher right after starting it, change the default load the the version you want.  During the upgrade or migration process, the existing firmware is copied over.  So you don't have to re-install the device pack, just change the default firmware and your wireless devices will not change firmware after the upgrade has completed. 

BTW, if your TFTP server is on your publisher, then you may need to stop the TFTP service to prevent the wireless phones from trying to download a new firmware right upon starting the publisher.  If the TFTP server is on a different server than the pub, then make the change on the pub before the TFTP server starts up and the change will occur before phones pick up their config file.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mary,

Your background and steps are contradictory.   Are you upgrading using PCD or are you migrating using PCD?  They are very different operation.  But I believe the answer to your question will be the same.  Bottom line is that you want the default firmware for your Wireless 792x devices to be the same when you reach the 10.5 version.   That is not a problem.  The best way to handle it is to upgrade or migrate the cluster, then on the publisher right after starting it, change the default load the the version you want.  During the upgrade or migration process, the existing firmware is copied over.  So you don't have to re-install the device pack, just change the default firmware and your wireless devices will not change firmware after the upgrade has completed. 

BTW, if your TFTP server is on your publisher, then you may need to stop the TFTP service to prevent the wireless phones from trying to download a new firmware right upon starting the publisher.  If the TFTP server is on a different server than the pub, then make the change on the pub before the TFTP server starts up and the change will occur before phones pick up their config file.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Thank you Dan,

I am performing an upgrade using PCD. I should not have used the term migration.

"During the upgrade or migration process, the existing firmware is copied over." This is the answer I needed to hear! I was concerned, since I will be upgrading UCM that it might overwrite it with the "default" 10.5 versions & ignore the firmware already have on the server. However, if this is the case, then my life just got infinitely simpler!

Thank you so much,
Mary

Mary,

Since you are performing an upgrade, all the firmware files will persist after the upgrade, so if the default is changed, you can simply change it back and the device will not pull the 10.5 default. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller