cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIMG Delay Passing Call

pjt8537
Level 1
Level 1

Running a dual integration with Call Manager 4.1 , Avaya V11.5 G3R PBX (with 5 digital PIMG units), and Unity 4.1 with off box Exchange 2k3. We have a long delay between PBX to PIMG calls from tie line (off site) locations. Local site calls work as advertised with all data and timeframes acceptable. The off site PBX's are where the problem lies. The PIMG's answer the call from the hunt group and quit ringing, then waits 20 soconds of silence before it passes the call to Unity. This is due to the PIMG not picking up the calling name/ANI of the calling party. I understand that there is a fix for this coming in Unity release 4.3 which changes some registry settings. Is the fix something I can get for 4.1 in an ES? Can I make changes to the registry settings before 4.3?

Thanks,

Paul

13 Replies 13

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This may sound odd, but the phone name.. in the display name.. change name and see what happens. THis happened on my rolm system and for what ever reason, I had a guy named Robert Ward... delayed going into Unity... I changed the name to R. Ward and it worked fine them... something in PIMG was pharseing the name of the phone from the PBX.....

Thanks for the input, but it didn't work.

Do you have the latest build on for the PIMG? on CCO there is newer firmware for the PIMGs.

Also, you could narrow the problem down a little more. From the remote site, can call a Unity port directly and still get the delay?

Yep, have the latest greatest firmware on the PIMG's. The ports can be dialed direct with no problem. It is just our remote PBX locations that are having the issue. The local PBX is fine. The trunk name on the remote ISDN lines seems to be overwriting the Trunk name which the PIMG must see in order to let the call complete without the 20 second delay.

what Avaya phone type are you running and what firmware is loaded on the PIMG?

I would pull up the call viewer and actually "see" the call coming in from the remote pbx and check Unity is seeing. Maybe the remote switch is sending garbage.

You can also check the PIMG's telphoney log (i think they call it that) and check to see what it is "seeing" when the digits get passed. If it is reading the correct DID, then it could be Unity. But you have to first see if PIMG is holding up the call or is Unity.

I am currently running into the same 18-20 sec. delay with Avaya integrating with Unity and PIMG. The local Avaya PBX where the PIMG resides is working like a champ. There are 2 remote sites connected via cover path and hunt group. One of the remote sites (2) is in the same city connected by a Tie Trunk. The other remote site is connected by a Tie Trunk as well. I integrated the first remote site (2) and got it working without any delay. I am connecting the other remote site (3) in Miami and am experiencing 18-20 sec. delay before Unity messages are played. Functionality is working so programming is sound on the Avaya switch and I cannot or do not know how to munipulate the Avaya PBX to set timers to decrease the time out.

There's a known bug (CSCsd48815) in Unity that causes this when no call information is received on the incoming call. Basically Unity is waiting 20 seconds for PIMG to send some caller/called information. In most cases this is not the correct thing to do. There is an ES available to control (or remove) this wait time. Cisco TAC should be able to provide the fix for you.

BTW when you hit this bug it is usually an indication that something is wrong in your config. The fact that PIMG is not getting any call info from the PBX is an issue on its own.

Regards,

Eric

Not necessarly. The PIMG could be parasing the caller ID incorrectly from the PBX. This then either causes the PIMG incorrectly intertupt the call and hand it to Unity. Unity responds with the default greeting, instead of Sign In.

It was a bug from Intel that would see the name from the PBX as "Robert Ward" and would not push the call to Unity with the subscriber exention. But if we change the station name to "R. Ward" then it would work fine. Odd yes..

I have bypassed this bug by emulating a 7434ND which is just a (ND) Numaric Display. This emulation only expects the extension and not worried about the 15 character display available. Also where I have it working, as far as a remote site (2) I have a trunk group set as a tie (ISDN) "I Still Don't kNow" and at the other remote site (3) it is an AVD type (Alternate Voice and Data) 64KB Fax and Data line specific. This would need to be change as far as far as the service type provided by the PSTN to get the same trunk group type in place. I see no reason for this. This trunk has been in place and working in direct connect with another Avaya solution which is being replaced with Cisco and working properly thru this Tie Trunk for years. I have done a list trace on the Trunk Group TAC "Trunk Access Code" and I see it going from site (1) to site (3) and waiting at the PIMG for 18 sec. How do I get Cisco to call Cisco? I have had Avaya on the phone for hours!

So now with the 7434ND configuration have you been able to verify that the PIMG is getting call info (e.g. calling number) and relaying that to Unity? If that is not happening then Unity will wait 20 seconds before playing a greeting. The ES for the bug I mentioned will eliminate this delay.

After working on the delay issue all day the CEO entered the building and made a management decision to just ship the 3 or 4 important people at this site Cisco VOIP Phones. In testing I was able to change the hunt group to only include a phone with someone standing by it. When you would place a call the time was appx. 4 sec. before following the coverage path to the hunt group and ring across the AVD TIE line and would ring the phone. I was able to do a list trace on the stations programed for the PIMG and it was stopping cold on the PIMG for 20 sec. I then changed it to only include the one station that was manned and it worked in 4 sec. But at the end of the day it was still an AVAYA issue and they were all waiting for me to fix it. Like stated before how do you get Cisco to call Cisco for help? I called Avaya within an hour or two of trying but after I emulated these scenarios I was out of ideas because to me I was able to show them with out a doubt the equipment "Avaya" was working as designed.

I have PIMGs integrated with a Nortel Option 11 PBX and we were having the same delay issue. Turns out that any of the display names put into the Nortel that were more than 23 characters (including spaces) would cause the PIMG to not pass ANY callerid info, giving the delay. We shortened the names on those displays & it has worked great so far.

I know that this has been an Avaya conversation, but the same thing seems to happen in Nortel integrations.