Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence 8.5 Status in Outlook Intermittent

Steven Howard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are running presence 8.5.2 and use the latest cupc 8.5 clients. All presence functionality works from cupc. Though in Outlook sometimes the presence status is unknown. See attached.

If I then go to the outlook properties for that contact it shows the status. Its very strange and Cisco documentation doesnt explain how the outlook presence availability works, or provide any troubleshooting guides...

Why would some contacts show the status then 5minutes later not show?

Has anyone else experienced this in either 8 or 8.5

Thanks

Steve

3 Replies 3

Hi Steven,

Can you verify that you have the following configured if you have outlook 2010 ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_5/english/release/notes/cupc85.html#wp305564

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enabling Availability Status for Microsoft Office 2010 Users

To enable the availability status feature of Cisco Unified Personal Communicator to work with the supported Microsoft Office 2010 applications, the administrator must configure an attribute in Microsoft Active Directory.

Procedure

Step 1 Start the ADSIEdit administrative tool.

Step 2 Expand the domain that contains your users.

Step 3 Open the organizational unit (OU) that contains your users.

Add a new value to the proxyAddresses attribute in the format `SIP:email-address', for example, `SIP:johndoe@cisco.com'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you also check the following ? (outlookg 2007 and 2010)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_5/english/release/notes/cupc85.html#wp243236

You might also want to check the following defect as there is a workaround documented

CSCto91250

HTH,
Christos

Hi

We currently have some users on 2003/2007 - though all 2007 sp1/2 users still experience this problem.

Does anyone know how the availbility status works? does it talk to CUPC then Exchange or does the outlook plugin talk directly with presence/cupc? Im wondering if it could be a high load on the exchange server...or high item count (RPC connections).

If it was a SIP issue then surely it wouldnt work at all.

Steve

Hi

Just stumbled across this post as it seems to describe exactly what is happening with our environment. We are running Presence 8.6.3 with the CUPC 8.5(5) client (and Outlook 2007). As you mentioned, the CUPC client status always seems to be up to date and correct. However, if I open Outlook and open an email message, the presence status of the user who sent the email is "presence unknown" (even though the CUPC client is showing a status for that user). If I double click on the user account and view the properties in the GAL, the presence status is visible and matches what the CUPC client is displaying. Also, this will occur with one user, and then it will work for another, then not work for another and seem to be very random in regards to which users work and which don't.

Interestingly, if I click on the presence status bubble next to a user who's status, then click the "Reply with Instant Message" the presence bubble instantly updates to match the status displaying in CUPC. This leads me to wonder if the Outlook CUPC integration is an "ad-hoc" subscription to the users presence that is somehow not being triggered to update or not receiving a presence status update in time. It seems like when I "poke" the contact and do a CUPC related activity from Outlook for the user it causes the system to query and update the presence status right away.

Just wondering if you ever made any progress in determining what was the cause of the intermittent issue, or if you found any more information about how the presence calls are sent from Outlook (does the CUPC plugin do it, Outlook?). The Cisco documentation doesn't provide a really clear link as to how the Outlook presence status is actually queried.

Julian