cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime License Manager (PLM) can sharing license?

Chi Fai Leung
Level 1
Level 1

I want to build up a PLM to manage all global CMs clusters UCL license. I have a few questions about that:

1. Only CM 9 / 10 can use the PLM? If my global CMs clusters that have some CMs clusters is 9 & some CMs clusters is 10, that can link to the same PLM?

2. Can I share the license usage? That mean if I purchased 100 x CUWL Std. from US CM ccluster , which can I share to UK to use too?

3. Can I use a existing CM 9 / 10 to become as PLM? Then other CMs link to the PLM is fine?

7 Replies 7

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Fai,

I have not practically done it but is possible to transfer the licenses among clusters when tied to a single ELM/PLM.

CM9 and CM10 can use ELM as well as PLM.Refer support matrix of below link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_0_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_U7066CD8_00_user-guide-rel-10-0-1/CPLM_BK_U7066CD8_00_user-guide-rel-10-0-1_chapter_010.html

Further, you also go through the link for license transfer among clusters.

• Licenses in 9.X are now tied to the ELM server's UUID instead of the publisher's license

MAC address. Multiple clusters can be registered to ELM, allowing licenses to be

dynamically transferred between clusters as needed.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/9869241/understanding-enterprise-license-manager

you can install standalone PLM to work for all clusters.

regds,

aman

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

you can use a centralized PLM  for several clusters. I think you can add up to 20 clusters.

also you can share your license among different clusters

Only CM 9/10 support PLM.

you can use curren CM 10 as PLM.

to do this setup, I think you need to involve cisco licensing team, if you have already different cluster in CUCM 9/10.

if you have versions before CUCM 9, you can start your centralized PLM and migrate the upgrade license to PLM

HTH

Anas

don't forget to rate the helpful posts

I still have some questions about the PLM:

1. Bandwidth & RTT requirement: How about the bandwidth & RTT requirement between the remote CM cluster and the main site CM cluster.
  2. How to count the insufficient license centrally? Will share the central pool on PLM? Our one of the customer will deploy the PLM at Hong Kong (HK) and will connect the CM clusters at US & UK to HK’s PLM. If US is over use the purchased UCL, then that can share the remaining UCL on PLM pool? If the PLM pool is not enough the license too, then that will count the all CM clusters as trial 60 / 180 days?

Hi Fai,

RTT would be 80ms .

My thought process would be :

For Centralised PLM,say for two clusters , u need to have two Product Instances and the number of licenses for each cluster would be counted as total .

Say for Cluster 1 : u have UCL Enhanced -10, CUWL Standard --30

for Cluster 2 : u have UCL Enhanced 40 , CUWL Standard -50

Total number of licenses : UCL Enhanced: 50 and CUWL Standard :80

If u do not have enough licenses then, u need to buy those licenses for that particular cluster or can be borrowed from higher Tier [if u install UCL Enhanced Plus but u do not have that license in pool, but enough licenses are available for CUWL standard, then, it can be borrowed]

regds,

aman

Hi Aman-

Can you clarify where you found the 80MS RTT requirement for communication with the PLM server?  The only RTT requirements I find are for intra-cluster communication between CUCM nodes.  I don't find any reference in the UC 10.x SRND.

I'm asking because I have three clusters across the world which all communicate with a central PLM server and the RTT is approaching 150ms and 300ms from two of the clusters with no issues. 

Thanks,
DJ

Hi DJ,

that is true.In SRND, u do not find any such reference.

I have taken into consideration RTT mentioned in SRND for CUCM clustering over WAN.Basically,we did for Unity connection 9 for two clusters with central ELM and is working fine.

You can loop in Cisco SE for more info and share with us.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman-

Ok, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in the SRND or in another document.  It doesn't make sense that it would require an 80ms RTT as ELM/PLM only synchronize with the applications every 24 hours and isn't communicating real-time data like CUCM nodes are.   I don't believe the requirement for clustering CUCM over the WAN are applicable to ELM/PLM.  

I also have clusters geographically separated running on a stand alone PLM server and latency approaches four times 80ms with out any issues.

Can someone from the BU comment on any latency requirements that may exist for a standalone ELM/PLM server?

DJ