cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rename storage group and mail store. Issues ?

Michael Huffman
Level 1
Level 1

Unity (4.0.5) UM partnered with external Exchange 2003. If I rename the storage group and mail store that Unity is partnered with, will Unity update automatically, or will I need to run the MSCW again after the change to reconnect it?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

I saw that no one had replied to your post. It captured my interest, even though I have never renamed a storage group. The instructions I found on Microsoft to do this appeared almost too easy and are referenced typically around recovery - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/28e9b81d-199b-4213-bdf3-ab376d1b28f5.mspx?mfr=true. I'm thinking, that like an account, the GUID does not change when you rename as it does when you delete/create new. Therefore, all of the permissions should be kept intact. Now if you wanted to move the Unity mailbox from one storage group to another, you would need to rerun the MSCW. I'm going to test this out on our lab system and will post back.

Ginger

Ginger,

As it turns out, I simply did it and waited to see what happened. Indeed, as you have indicated, the GUID did not change and Unity continued to run. SQL still showed the old storage group text name, but once I resynced things it updated.

Thanks for replying.