cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restoring CUCM Publisher Backup to new server

amiesanyang
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of testing disaster recovery for our CUCM infrastructure.

We did a backup of our current cucm publisher and wanted to restore it on another cucm server we built. The problem we are having is that when we try to initiate a restore of the backup on the new server, the new cucm server does not see the backup files.

Both servers have the same name and ip address but the new server is on an isolated network.

How can we restore the backup from the live publisher to the new standby cucm publisher.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sounds to me like something on the new Pub is not matching the backups.

Double check the following:

IP and Hostname are identical
CUCM version is identical
Deployment settings are the same, use the same OVA file if you have it 

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try restarting the DRS services, and make sure the backup is in the right location where you're looking.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Restarting the DRS services does not solve the problem.

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I hope you are setting the SFTP location on the new CM server that you built for performing the restore. If you have then make sure there is accessibility between SFTP server on which the backup file exists and new CM server.

Regards

Deepak

The new server can see the SFTP and can successfully backup its files to it.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you sure the new Pub is actually seeing the SFTP share?

Try and do a manual backup to the share of the brand new Pub and see if the backup completes, this will show if the Pub is seeing the SFTP share.

Have you checked this guide out:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_011.html

Did you use the same OVA file to build the new Pub? i.e. the same OVA file used to build the live Pub.

Yes it is seeing the SFTP share. We did a manual backup of the new server and it was successful. When we tried to do a restore, all the server could see were its own backup files even though the backup of the live server was in the same folder.

No it was built from a different OVA. Both servers reside on their own Cisco Ucs servers. Maybe we should copy the OVA of the live server to build the backup server.

Thanks I will check the link.

Sounds to me like something on the new Pub is not matching the backups.

Double check the following:

IP and Hostname are identical
CUCM version is identical
Deployment settings are the same, use the same OVA file if you have it 

Thanks for your help.

The names where not the same and I changed that from the cli and went through the setting and had everything changed to match the live server. The IP address is the same. 

I will double check the versions now and if not the same, just get the OVA for the live server.

Will let you know how it goes and if I need further assistance. Thank you.

We installed the same CUCM version and now we can see the backups and were able to perform a restore.

Again thanks for you help

Excellent.

I learned the hard way at 3am one morning how picky the DRS restore can be! Waiting for a CUCM server to build at that time is not something I want to repeat.

I have a scenario where we are migrating from one UCS to another. the only thing is that, on destination UCS they want a different IP address of the CUCM , the rest is same i.e version, hostname, dns and domain. if I take DRS of old CUCM and restore it on new CUCM , will it work? or how do i make this work?

System version on the live server is 

System version: 9.1.1.20000-5 and 

on the backup server it is

System version: 9.1.2.10000-28

So I guess that is what our problem is. We do have the OVA of the live server so we are now deploying it on the backup server and hopefully the issue will be resolved

Just to clarify this, you CAN use a different OVA option, as long as it's bigger than the original one you're running, but you seem to be using the term OVA and ISO as if they're the same, and they're NOT.

The OVA is just the VM specs to build a blank VM, the ISO image is the disk image you use to install CUCM. Do you have both??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the correction