Helpful
Replies

Restrict access to specific voice mail to only a specific phone

Oscar77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I have a Cisco unity and CUCM 10.5

I want to restrict access to one of unity voice mail numbers, lets say number 1000 from only the phone extension #1000, can this be achieved? 

- currently any user can access any voice mail number form his phone if he has the PIN in two ways: 1. press * and enter the voice mail ID and PIN and 2. enter a wrong PIN for his voice mail number and he will be asked to enter any other voice mail number and PIN. I want to prevent this scenario and allow the user to be able to access his voice mail from his phone only.

- I tried to go do unity > user > Edit > caller input and change the * to ignore 

- I also tried to go to > system call handler > opening greeting > caller input and changed the * to ignore

but that didn't help.

appreciate if someone can help 

5 Replies 5

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I’m not aware of a way to implement this restriction, especially the #1 half of your statement since that is an inherent feature of the attempt sign-in conversation. As for #2, there is a checkbox buried in one of the system settings > advanced pages to not revert to mailbox number after entering an invalid PIN. I don’t have a system in front of me or I would point your right at it; just Ctrl + F for PIN and it should turn up.

Thanks Jonathan, the second part worked now, many thanks. 

for the first part, can the attempt sign-in conversation be edited and set the * to hang up for example, or can I create another sing-in conversation and use it instead of this. I 

AFAIK, no.

Thanks Jonathan, do you think the below reply can do the required job (Restrict access to specific voice mail to only a specific phone) or is this not accepted for some reasons? 

Oscar77
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I have done, It is working this way, But I am not sure if any of the users can still skip and overpass it to call that restricted extension. 

1. create a new partition : Dial Plan > partitions , create new partition 

2. create new search space: Dial plan > search spaces > add new one, assign the new partition to this search space

3. go to users users > choose the extension you wanna restrict and change the partition to the newly created one

4. on the direct routing rules > create a new rule, change its search scope to the newly created one. and add a new rule condition and set the calling number to the number that you want give it permission to call the restricted number

5. on Forwarded routing rules > create a new one > set the search scope to the newly created one. and add a new condition and set the forwarding station to equal the number you wanna restrict. 

--

this method works for me till now, just not fully sure if any of the users can still skip or bypass it to reach the restricted extension. 

anyone know if this method can be bypassed somehow or cause any other services not to work properly?