cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunk: 483 too many hops and Max-Forward:13

ictservicedesk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, looking for a steer.  Having problems with some, but not all, outgoing calls to specific numbers.  I've traced this and we can see "483 Too many hops" messages coming from the SIP trunk provider.  I can see that CUCM is placing "Max-forwards:13" in the INVITE header to the provider which seems low - in other community posts I've seen reference to 70 being the usual value?

Questions:

- where can I check \ change the Max-Forwards value?  I can't see a setting on the trunks or the SIP profile?

- does 13 Max Forwards seem right, or is that very low?

Thanks

Lee

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, then you have to use SIP normalization scripts in CUCM and bind it to the SIP trunk.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

b.winter
VIP
VIP

If you are using CUBE between CUCM and your SIP Trunk provider, use sip-profiles to modify the "max-forward" header.

13 is way to low...

13 is as you mention the standard value that CM sets for this and it can AFAIK not be altered in CM. However as @b.winter pointed out you can modify this by a SIP profile in your SBC (Cube). This would be an example of how to do that.

voice class sip-profiles 10
 request ANY sip-header Max-Forwards modify "Max-Forwards:(.*)" "Max-Forwards: 70" 

Response Signature

Thanks all.  Unfortunately it's a direct trunk between CUCM (12.0) and the SIP provider, we don't have CUBE.   I guess I'm going to have to resort to Normalisation Scripts?  I saw this post but don't really want to start hacking around with code unless essential: https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/sip-trunk-integration-isp/m-p/3337989#M358490

Lee

Yes, then you have to use SIP normalization scripts in CUCM and bind it to the SIP trunk.

Thanks - I'll give that a try!

Update: added the example code to the SIP Normalisation Script and I can now see 70 max-forwards in the outoging INVITE headers.  Thanks everyone. Lee

Connecting like you have done is an absolutely terrible thing to do. It will expose your whole internal infrastructure to your service provider.

Response Signature

Thanks Roger - good to know and to add, there are other mitigations in place I believe

kaftab001
Level 1
Level 1

As per RFC 3261, setting Max-Forwards is not forced to make it 70. It uses the term Should.

A UAC MUST insert a Max-Forwards header field into each request it originates with a value that SHOULD be 70. This number was chosen to be sufficiently large to guarantee that a request would not be dropped in any SIP network when there were no loops, but not so large as to consume proxy resources when a loop does occur. Lower values should be used with caution and only in networks where topologies are known by the UA.

Thanks