Views
Helpful
Replies

SMTP Notification with Unity VM

michael.tanner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Is it possible to configure message notification using SMTP (Pager Text) with a UNITY Voicemail licence?

It works fine with a unified installation, but not with VM.

Thanks,

Regards,

Mike

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The notification engine does not care (and in fact does not know) if the system is configured for VM or UM - that's not related to your issue. SMTP notifications (as well as all other types of notifications) will work fine in either configuration.

The most common problem with SMTP, particuarly with VM only setups, is sites not having their gateways configured properly to handle the outbound email message once its handed off. All Unity is doing is handing the message to the partner Exchange server and letting it handle delivering it. If you hook up a desktop client to a mailbox in the Exchange server in question, I'm betting you can't send an email and have it delivered where you want either - start by looking there.

I am not sure what the mentioned "gateway" is, do you mean the "SMTP Connector" in Exchange? I can't find any reference what the gateway will be, even not in the new UNITY book. I enabled Message Tracking for the UNITY VM Exchange and can see only the voice mails delivered to the local store, but no notifications.

Can you please clarify the meaning of "gateway"?

I will try again, also with an Outlook connected to the VM Exchange.

Regards,

Mike