cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Mobility feature overlap with BE CUWL?

HEATH FREEL
Level 1
Level 1

I am once again confused after reading the datasheets and am not sure which way to go.

CUCMBE with CUWL Licensing includes Mobility which states it provides SNR and Dual-Mode Devices. We are currently running SNR and were looking to incorporate the Dual-Mode capabilities.

I had thought that in order to do that I would need the Unified Mobility Server App along with the Mobile Comminicator App for the iphone and backberry.

My questions are as follows:

Do I need a separate Server/App for the Mobile Communicator App?

Are Dual-Mode devices the same as the capabilites enabled with Mobile Communicator?

What are the differences between the Molility features inherant in BE and the Mobility features of Unified Mobility Server and/or Mobility Advantage?

Thanks,

Heath

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you need a CUMA server running on MCS hardware. Read the documentation carefully because it has much less flexable hardware sizing rules (i.e. typically a MCS7845)

Are Dual-Mode devices the same as the capabilites enabled with Mobile Communicator?

Not necessarily. Dual-mode refers to a device capable of 802.11 and cellular communications. When using the cellular radio it can be reached using Mobile Connect (Single Number Reach). When using the 802.11 radio it can register as a third-party SIP client. Mobile Communicator uses the cellular data network to communicate signaling information only. All voice traffic occures on the cellular TDM network.

What are the differences between the Molility features inherant in BE and the Mobility features of Unified Mobility Server and/or Mobility Advantage?

Unified Mobility that is built into UC Manager is purely a call routing mechnism. You can extend calls to off-net devices such a cellular phone. The other feature is Mobile Voice Access which provides a mechanism for off-net devices to call through UCM similar to how old PBX systems provided DISA. CUMA and CUMC on the other hand provide a user interface and integration of multiple Cisco UC products onto the cellular handset.

CUMC Data Sheet

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you need a CUMA server running on MCS hardware. Read the documentation carefully because it has much less flexable hardware sizing rules (i.e. typically a MCS7845)

Not necessarily. Dual-mode refers to a device capable of 802.11 and cellular communications. When using the cellular radio it can be reached using Mobile Connect (Single Number Reach). When using the 802.11 radio it can register as a third-party SIP client. Mobile Communicator uses the cellular data network to communicate signaling information only. All voice traffic occures on the cellular TDM network.

Unified Mobility that is built into UC Manager is purely a call routing mechnism. You can extend calls to off-net devices such a cellular phone. The other feature is Mobile Voice Access which provides a mechanism for off-net devices to call through UCM similar to how old PBX systems provided DISA. CUMA and CUMC on the other hand provide a user interface and integration of multiple Cisco UC products onto the cellular handset.

CUMC Data Sheet