Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity 7 digital networking question

Hi,

I would really appriciate if anyone can shed some light on this.  first time desgining digital networking.  i have a unity ver 7 ,2003 server,integrated wtih AD/Exchange as unified messaging.  i also have another unity ver 7 2003 server (not part of the domain and not connected to excahnge at all) which is voicemail only. we are thinking of digital networking both.  as far as i understand both unity servers should be part of the same active directory forest to be digital networked.  if so, can I join the VM only unity to active directory and to make it part of the domain without exchange integration.  so the voicemail only be stored local unity?  we dont want the vm to be delivered to users in this unity, as email with wav attached  (thats the whole reason we are keeping it vm only).  any ideas are welcomed.

thanks

vijay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct, the only way digital networking works is to be in the same AD forest or domain.   If you want the VM only server into the UM domain, you will need to create separate accounts for those VM only.  For example:

John Doe (Exchange Mailbox)

John Doe -VM (Unity voicemail only box)

Id advise going to Unity Connection if you can.  That way you can have the best of both worlds with no hassles about where the vms are stored or accesed from.  Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 all can store voicemails as UM when using Unity Connection 8.5SU1.   If you want a voicemail only account, Unity Connection can keep it locally.

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct, the only way digital networking works is to be in the same AD forest or domain.   If you want the VM only server into the UM domain, you will need to create separate accounts for those VM only.  For example:

John Doe (Exchange Mailbox)

John Doe -VM (Unity voicemail only box)

Id advise going to Unity Connection if you can.  That way you can have the best of both worlds with no hassles about where the vms are stored or accesed from.  Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 all can store voicemails as UM when using Unity Connection 8.5SU1.   If you want a voicemail only account, Unity Connection can keep it locally.

Hope this helps you.