cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 secondary server rebuild?

Richard Dumag
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone performed this successfully?  Also, I can't seem to find a documentation for disaster recovery or rebuild of Unity 7.

We are running Cisco Unity 7.0 build 7.0(2) on our secondary server.  The server fails to boot from the C drive and always attempts to boot from NIC.

All harddrives are OK (green led), no red or amber lights on the front panel of the server, and the RAID configuration is intact.

I have a ticket open with Cisco but the TAC engineer advised that we contact our account rep and request for customer service rep to assist with the rebuild.

While waiting to hear back from our rep, thought I'd come to the forum to check and post.

Any comment is appreciated.  Thanks.

2 Replies 2

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't had to personally "rebuild" a Unity server but I'd think you can do that in a straightforward manner.  When you build a Unity failover pair, you build the primary server first and one of the latter tasks is to enable failover.  At a high-level, you would want to disable failover on the existing primary server then you could go ahead and rebuild a new failover server based on the installation guide procedures.  The installation guides for Unity 7 are the same as version 5 so here is a link to the various guides:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_installation_guides_list.html

You would want to ensure that you install any additional ES releases to match the versioning before systems and ensure you reuse the same service accounts, permissioning, etc.  With Unity, the failover license is installed on the failover server so you would need to work out rehosting that license (that is, if you end up replacing the server completely).  Once everything is up to spec with the primary server, you would reconfigure the failover wizard.  The important thing is that you want the 2 servers to pretty much mirror each other from a build perspective.  If your system was built based on the installation recommendations then that shouldn't be much of a complication.  You could potentially leverage a DiRT backup to ease the rebuild process but I'm not sure if you'd want to go that route or not.  Honestly, it's been a long time since I've looked the documentation and procedures for DiRT.  You can find that information at www.ciscounitytools.com if you'd like to look into the details a bit.

With that said, what happens when you attempt to boot the server now?  Do you get any error messages to indicate the boot sector and/or Windows image is corrupt?  Can you break out of the boot process and boot into safe mode at all?  Some more details along those lines would be of interest as well.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for the info David.  One of the harddrives failed and somehow corrupted the good.  We replaced the drive but still would not boot.  So this means building the server from scratch.  I think we have all the setup files we need for the rebuild.  And will definitely open a ticket with TAC just in case.