cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Bridge 2.1.4 vs. 3.0

JOEL ANDERSEN
Level 1
Level 1

From the documentation, it appears that the Unity Bridge w/ 2.1.4 does not automatically create the Bridge Subscribers as Contacts. You have to use the tool. With 3.0, it creates them automatically. Is this correct?

3 Replies 3

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We've always created bridge subscribers as contacts in AD. Where did you see this documented? Maybe its talking about something else (which I can't think of right now).

Well in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/bridge/bcg/bcg211/bnet_010.htm#1223272

It says that only "Permanent" entries made in the Bridge Administrator will be added automatically as contacts. The others will need to be added via Unity System Administration as Bridge Subscribers. Am I missing something here?

Oh, ok. What happens is that when a Unity subscriber sends a message to an Octel subscribr for the first time, it is done by blind addressing (unless an entry already exists--i.e. it was created by importing the users to Unity). The Bridge later on places a call to that Octel to try to figure out the spoken name and text name of that Octel subscriber. When it learns that, it notifies Unity which will then create a contact in AD. After 30 days, if no other messages were received from (or sent to) that subscriber, the entry is removed (and the contact deleted). That's no different than how it works now, but I guess its not explained that well in the docs.

This is exactly the same if two Octels are talking to one another. After the first message is sent, it'll "learn" the spoken name/text name of the other party and will store that information for 30 days (by default). So that's basically the behavior we're replicating.