cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.1.3 Email Notification - Domain Setting.

smanuel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UC 7.1.3 server.

I have a fairly basic question. If I change the domain setting to match my site, what will the ramifications be and will a restart of service apply.

This is a production system and I want to know what will happen before changing the domain.

right now it defaults to the Host Name of the Server and I want to change it to something, when you attempt to change the setting and press save, you get a warning that the change will cascade all the users that reference the system.

Thanks in advance. 

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Under the hood Unity Connection uses SMTP to perform directory replication and to transport messages between locations in a site. Essentially each user actually has a separate Unity Connection email address which is how they are referrenced within the site. ViewMail also uses this to distinquish between replies to voicemails (which are from the Unity Connection domain) and emails (which are from the normal Exchange domain). You should not set the domains to be the same! This would also render SpeechView unusuable due to the required configuration steps in Exchange.

If you want to change it to something slightly more generic, that's fine. An example would be if the servers in your HA pair are named messaging1 and messaging2. It would be fine to change the domain to messaging.domain.com. In this scenario the messaging sub-domain you create should have MX records that resolve to both messaging1 and messaging2 on your SMTP Smart Host.

Note that you do not need - nor is it recommended - to expose Unity Connection to the Internet for SMTP traffic. This is just intended for internal use with networking and your email platform.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the info on this parameter does this also work the same way in unity connnections 8.5? And if changin this to more generic domain like mycompany.com for exmaple. How will this affect the replication between the 2 server if you are running on HA eviroment?