Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection MAC Address

msmalik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

so we have got two unity servers in production, 1 is publisher and 2 is sub. 

How do I check that the software is licensed for which one of these two? It might just be the publisher one but how would I confirm? 

And then how can I get the mac address of that server?

Output of Show Hardware command on the Publisher Unity Server:

HW Platform : VMware Virtual Machine
Processors : 2
Type : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2440

Thanks

7 Replies 7

To start with it would help if you where to share the version that you’re running. If it is a version that is SL based it is not based on MAC address for licensing, but a license UDI.

Response Signature

In addition to what @Roger Kallberg said the licensing for a Unity Connection cluster is shared, except for port licensing, through the 11.x versions. For Smart Licensing beginning with v12 all licensing is shared within the Unity Connection cluster.

As for finding the MAC address, you can do this in the OS GUI, or in the CLI with the command show network eth0 detail

Maren

We are using 11.x version and i was able to get the eth mac address. Thanks for that.

Now where do we add the .lic file in PLM? when you select add from a file, it allows you to upload .bat file not the .lic file.

I have received this .lic file from our vendor who said it's for 50 unity temp licences from cisco.

Take a look at:  Cisco Prime License Manager User Guide, Release 11.5(1) -- Chapter: License Management  

Look for the section:  Fulfill Licenses from File

When I have done this, I have always added .bin files downloaded from the License Administration Portal. And that was with v11.5.

Maren

FWIW: I think a .lic file is the wrong kind of file for what you are doing.

Yes, I think so. I have done this twice already and always had the .bin file.

And, when i open my cucm instance and go to PLM from there i see all the licenses there both for cucm and unity.

I also just noticed another PLM which I

can access from my Unity instance. This one doesn't have any licenses in there. 

Does each instance have a separate PLM?

Sorry, i am just new to UC and have heaps of questions, and thanks for being kind enough to answer. 

Any given UC cluster (CUCM, CUC, etc.) can register with only one PLM. However, when you install a 11.x CUCM or CUC cluster a PLM is automatically installed behind it. If your CUC is registered to the one behind CUCM, you can ignore the one on CUC.

I'd say you will want to go back to the person that you got the license from and have them re-issue a .bin type. When I've seen .lic files, that has been for hardware like routers.

Also, if your implementation is small enough you may be able to generate your own demo license through the license portal. The demo CUWL license for CUCM/CUC gives you 20 CUWL licenses plus CER. The demo license for CUC is, I think, 25 but I'd have to look.

As for answering questions, it is what we are here for!

Maren