cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection - Networked NEC 2400s integration PIMG?

struttob
Level 1
Level 1

At one of our hospitals we have an old NEC 2400 IPX running release 25E. We're going to be replacing it with CUCM in a year or and currently have a local CUCM cluster & ISR gateways w/ QSIG integration to support some wireless phones.  We're going to migrate the whole thing to CUCM but no for a year or so.  In the interim, the old Octel has become unreliable & we're replacing with a Unity Connection 7.1.3 cluster for all users.

Our partner is trying to install PIMGs (because the NEC QSIG implementation doesn't support MWI) and we're having some issues getting them to work with the 2400 that they're attaching to, which I believe they will overcome.  However, on a call today, their NEC support company threw out a new caveat.  They said that digital integrations (like PIMG) won't work in NEC systems that are networked.  In our scenario we have an east campus with a 2400 (the one we're working with that currently houses centralized OCTEL) and then we have a west campus (same city) with another 2400.  Then some smaller local sites with 2000 series NECs, all networked.  In all cases apparently NEC uses their MCI protocol.

It's the NEC team's assertion that in mci-networked implementations that MWI won't work across networked NEC pbx's using the MCI protocol.  They say that instead only the serial integration (that coincedentialy Octel currently uses) will work across-networked-NECs using the MCI protocol which would mean I assume that we'd have to ditch the already opened & installed PIMGs in favor of TIMGs.

Just wondering if anyone here has run into this 'networked-NECs' scenario and is there any conflicting thought on whether or not the PIMGs SHOULD work in this environment.

I just don't see on the NEC side why when providing centralized VM for networked NEC systems there would be a difference in whether the touch point between the 'parent' NEC system and whatever VM was digital vs serial..  Of course I also don't understand why we can't count on MWI, a very basic requirement, being supported in QSIG across vendors </RANT OFF>

1 Reply 1

Timothy Tesluk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Sounds like quite a pickle. I can't say that I've been in contact with any other customer sites which had a crafty way to circumvent what sounds like an NEC product limitation. Is NEC saying that MWI will fail universally for digital integrations like the PIMG when the NEC pbx's are networked? Or, are they saying that the NEC devices will simply be unable to relay any MWI signal to other networked NEC pbx's?

Assuming the later, you might consider deploying the PIMG's on a per-site basis rather than centralized so as to avoid relying on the NEC pbx's MCI interlinks to relay the MWI signal.

HTH,

Tim