cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection - Port Usage Analyzer - Won't Connect

loucanick
Level 1
Level 1

Just downloade the PUA tool ... trying to connect to one of the Unity Connection servers in the client's cluster and it times out advising there was a read error:

Error -2147467259([Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Read error occurred during connection attempt.) in the remote connection procedure.

The login name and password are correct, the IP address of the server is correct. The Database Proxy service is enabled. The admin user has System Admin and Remote System Admin roles assigned. The IP address of my PC is entered on the allowed remote connections. I can't find anything else that should be configured to allow this connection. Evidently the name/password info is OK as it takes 60 seconds to timeout.

What could I be missing?

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lou,

Did you set?

Task 2: Set the Database Proxy Service Shutdown Time

Out of the box the database proxy service is not running and if you try to start the service it will shut down right away.  First you need to set the “Database Proxy: Service Shutdown Timer” value found in the System Settings -> Advanced -> Connection Administration section of the Cisco Unity Connection Administration page.  By default this is 0.  You can set it to as high as 999 days if you like.  After the number of days configured here the remote database proxy service will shut down.  This is useful if you want to do some migration work, for instance, and don’t want to forget to have the service disabled for security reasons.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/PortUsageAnalyzer/Help/PortUsageAnalyzer.htm

Cheers!

Rob

Yes...the Database Proxy Service Shutdown Time is set to 5 days. Counter restarted when I activated the Proxy Service...

Thanks...

There's not a lot to go wrong with the ODBC connection - make sure the port is set to 20532 and that nothing is blocking that port (windows firewall or AV package perhaps).  If you have the ODBC driver installed (the PUA install should bark about it if it wasn't) and the DB PRoxy is running it should all work - all the tools use this mechanism so it's a well worn path to be sure.  No other ports are at play (i.e. no HTTP or IMAP conneciton invovled as COBRAS ues for instance) so it's just the 20532 that you'd need to check on.

A timeout that long would not happen if the ODBC driver weren't installed or you had the wrong IP address - that usually means the proxy isn't running, isn't reachable or the login/PW isn't correct.

Also make sure the user's password isn't set to require a change at next login - the proxy wont let you connect in that case...

OK...PUA acts strangely. Will connect to one server, but not the other. When it does connect to the Subscriber server, it sets the date to 11/22/2010 and will not allow me to change the date. The calendar appears when the drop down is clicked, but cannot select any other date, or move the calendar from November 2010 forward or back.

I deleted the tool and reinstalled it. Still the same behavior. Checked for updates..says I've got the latest version.

Is there a problem with this latest version?

So presuably you got past the ODBC conneciton issues...

I'll forgive you just this once for implying I've ever had a bug in any application I've written... but just once. 

Not likely a bug in my app - dollars to doughnuts the data on the server you're connecting to is not what you expect it to be.  You can use CUDLI to open the report database and take a look - the date selection on the tool is smart and only allows you to pick dates that are included in the range found on the server - hence it appears to be acting "funny" to you, but I'm betting the funny business is the data collection services on the box you're connecting to is not populating the report database.

Very little logic that can go wrong here on the application side so uninstalling it and reinstalling it isn't going to do much more than waste your time I'm afraid... check the vw_callActivity and vw_PortActivity tabels on the UnityRptDB database on the server that's giving you trouble.

oh, and you can grab a snapshot of the entire two tables noted above into an MDB file for review if you want - it's under the debug menu option in PUA -= "Fetch raw server report data".  this grabs the entire contents of both tables used to generate the report so you can puruse them locally (or send them to me to look at) if you want.

Well...got CUDLI going. Looks like there is data to pull from. Not sure why PUA

is stuck on 11/22/2010 (isn't that the anniversary of JFK's assasination?) ...

Pulled the 'fetch raw server data'..I'm guessing this is all from 11/22/2010 ...

Appreciate your guidance on this...

There's data from 11/20, 11/21 and 11/22 in there - PUA lets me select any of those three days, not just the 22nd and there's call data properly parsed out for all 3 days (614 calls on 11/20, 132 on 11/21 and 318 calls on 11/22).

Short version, PUA is working fine - if you're expecting more data on the server than 11/20 to 11/22 then you need to look further up stream.  And since I've been asked before - no, it's not possible that PUA reached out and trashed your data on the server - it's read only access.

If there's some sort of issue synching logs between servers in a cluster or the data collection service (sometimes called the scavenger) had some sort of issue or the like, then the report database wont get populated with the call activity data properly - hard to speculate what could be going on but it doesn't look like logic problem on PUA's side of the fence at any rate.