cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection system handler's "transfer rule" vs "greeting", which one run first?

Oak Ridge
Level 1
Level 1

documentation said "When a call is transferred to the call handler, Connection first checks the applicable transfer rule to determine where to transfer the call—either to the call handler greeting, or to an extension."

But my transfer rule is set to transfer to an extension, my test shows the I can still hear the handler's greeting.

So Unity Connection system handler's "transfer rule" vs "greeting", which one run first?

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

This is a concept not well explained (as far as I can see) in the official Unity docs. I didn't get it until I read one of Jeff Lindborg's books from Cisco Press... 

Here I'm going to rip off someone's flow chart that depicts it - see attachment.

Essentially the transfer rules go first, but only when the call reaches the system via certain methods - i.e. when you route from a call handler, set the subscriber to route to, and select 'attempt transfer for' rather than 'greeting'.

This looks like it has a good explanation and is the source of the pic I posted. Go this this URL and get the 'AudioText Applications in Unity' document, pay attention at page 20: http://www.ciscounitytools.com/SiteList/AllDownloads/alldownloads.html

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron. The documentation you mentioned is about Unity, not Unity Connection.  The configuration task is different.  But I believe the concept is the same.

>>>>Essentially the transfer rules go first, but only when the call reaches the system via certain methods - i.e. when you route from a call handler, set the subscriber to route to, and select 'attempt transfer for' rather than 'greeting'.

For "route from a call handler",  if I only have just one call handler, in order to make the "transfer rule" work,  do you mean I have to set the "after greeting" to the call handler to the call handler itself?

Hi

Yes, the concepts are consistent between CUC and traditional Unity, for the most part and certainly in this particular case.

If you have just one CH, and want to use the transfer for that, then you would have whatever sends to the CH use the 'attempt transfer' option.

One way to do this would be to use a Routing Rule - for example, you might have a Route Pattern for 1234 that points to your Unity SIP trunk.

You could then add a Direct routing rule, with a condition of 'dialled number = 1234'. Set that rule to route to your CH, with 'attempt transfer for'.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

I have always found that, the Transfer Rules are the First one the system first plays the Greetings.

The language here

"when a call is transferred to the call handler, Connection first checks the applicable transfer rule to determine where to transfer the call—either to the call handler greeting, or to an extension."

looks like talks more about the Transfer Rule in particular, i.e whenever a Call is transferred to under the "Transfer Action" of the Call Handler, where it is defined, whether the call would be handed over to an Extension or yet another Call Handler.

Secondly, any time any call that lands on a system, it ALWAYs go through the Routing Rules, be it Direct Routing Rules or Forwarded Routing Rules.

HTH