cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection upgrade from 7.1.3 to 9.1.2

rduric
Level 5
Level 5
I'm planning to upgrade our two Unity Connection servers 7.1(3)ES11 to 9.1(2)SU3. In the Cisco document at this URL:

During the migration, only user data and, optionally, voice messages are preserved. System-level configuration data (for example, templates and classes of service) must be manually configured. 
I'm migrating  CUC 7.1(3)ES11 from one physical server to another physical server (compatible with 9.1(2)SU3 specs). The plan is to install 7.1(3) from scratch on the new server and then restore the old server via DRS. After the 7.1(3) is up and running on the new server, perform the 9.1.(3)SU3 upgrade. I think all data should be preserved including the templates, the Class of Services, etc. in my case.

When would someone actually experience the above statement from the Cisco document? What else is not preserved?

If anyone has done a similar upgrade, I'd like to hear any tips and tricks or issues you ran into.

Thanks.
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That statement pertains to migration using COBRAS not DRS, DRS restores all settings. COBRAS allows you migrate data from one server to another independent of version and hostname/IP address which makes this kind of migration a lot simpler.

View solution in original post

Those are new features which will not be populated, you will need to create them. For example single inbox will need to be defined and then you can add it to your user templates and using bulk tools update existing users as updating templates does not propagate to existing users.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That statement pertains to migration using COBRAS not DRS, DRS restores all settings. COBRAS allows you migrate data from one server to another independent of version and hostname/IP address which makes this kind of migration a lot simpler.

Thank you Chris. Let's say I'm doing an in-place upgrade from CUC 7.1.3 to 9.1.2. The CUC 9.1.2 will modify templates and COS because of new added features. What does it happen to my old templates and COS? I think the upgrade process should modify them accordingly and I shouldn't be doing any Bulk Edit on VM boxes and/or other attributes. 

Assuming you are doing DRS upgrade then nothing will change, all information will be migrated as is, if there are new options in any templates that are required those usually get adjusted. Which feature are you asking in particular?

Features like Single Inbox, Single sign on, Speech,...

Those are new features which will not be populated, you will need to create them. For example single inbox will need to be defined and then you can add it to your user templates and using bulk tools update existing users as updating templates does not propagate to existing users.

Thank you Chris. Much appreciated.