Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity EXPORT/IMPORT 2.3.4 to 4.0.4

sahildmello
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Were doing a migration from 2.3.4 to 4.0.4.Ive used the right tool(FullDBExport3x.exe) for the export and the export returns zero errors so thats clean.Im using the import tool FullDBImport4x.exe .Each time I run the import tool,I select the file and then immediately throws an error saying that one or more record sets are missing.Ive actually recently done a migration from 2.4.6 and it worked fine.Just as a test I used the 2.4.6 export into this build and it works fine.There is just something with the 2.3.4 file that the import utility does not like.It fails as soon as I select the file.The import logs states that the mdb file is empty but obviously thats not the case.Here is the exact error messages from the import log "

Attempting to connect using OLEDB 4.0

Using connection string:Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=E:\Program Files\Database Import\UnityDBSUN.MDB

empty database selected"

Any help is appreciated as were running out of ideas.I would like to know what it looks for when running the integrity check, so I can figure out what its querying to find out that the mdb file is empty

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Blast from the past... had to go dig the source up from an archive. Just to be clear TAC and the BU haven't supported 2.x upgrades for some time.

After opening the DB with 4.0 (then 3.51 if that fails) connection string it opens the CallHandlers, Subscribers, COS and NameLookupHandlers tables in the MDB file you pointed it at - if any of those are empty you have a bad backup (i.e. the system you backed up had an invalid configuration - none of those tables should ever be empty).

The most likely scenario is someone manually hacked the default name lookup handler out of your old system and that table is empty in your MDB file. The export tool only checks to see if Unity is actually running properly (i.e. all the services are up and report status), it doesn't do an integrity check of the system to this level prior to the backup.

Pop open your MDB file and take a look - if your callhandlers, subscribers or COS tables are empty, you're out of luck since that's pretty serious. If the name lookup handler table is empty you might be able to hack in a row on your own - I don't recall right off hand how many colunns of data there are in there or what the properties are but it'll be a little tricky around the edges - with a row in there, though, it should at least proceed and you can see how it goes.

Jeff,

Just wanted to see if anyone replied and you did.That night after playing around I was able to hack the row in the name lookup handler and the import worked.It was a nightmare as first the whole version table was missing and then the row of name lookup handler.That was one fun migration.Havnt had any issues with that migration since then.

Thanks for your help as always..

Sahil