cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UnityMTA folder issue - Unity 7.0.2

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

We recently discovered that when any of our users exchange servers went down, the users were unable to receive their new messages.  Unity would indeed tell them the exchange server was down and that they could only retrieve new messages, but would then state, you have no new messages when in fact, they did.  Under all other circumstances and normal operations, these same users are able to get their messages from their exchange server.

After verifying permissions were not an issue, I looked at the UnityMTA folder and discovered there were two UnityMTA folders, one on the E: drive and the other on the D: drive.  The messages were in the folder on the E: drive.  The registry and advanced settings tool showed that Unity was configured for the E: drive however the E:\UnityMTA folder was not shared, which led me to believe was the reason why Unity did not see the new messages - is this a correct assumption?

I then ran the AST to change the UnityMTA folder back to the D: drive and have removed the E:\UnityMTA folder, and ensured the proper permissions/sharing was configured on the D:\UnityMTA folder.  I have verified in the registry, the MTA folders are pointing to the D drive, as well as in the AST.

I see two failed messages in the D:\UnityMTA\failed folder, which does not concern me but what does concern me is the errors I am seeing in the event logs.  My concern is that the issue may not be resolved and that if the users exchange servers go offline again, they will still experience an issue.  Has anyone seen this error before or know what it means?  There should be no reference in Unity any longer to the E:\UnityMTA folder.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: CiscoUnity_NodeMgr
Event Category: Run
Event ID: 1060
Date:  6/16/2010
Time:  9:53:32 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: USMDLMDOWU102
Description:
FindFirstFile for E:\CommServer\UnityMTA\* failed with error 0x80070003.

Message was edited by: maratimer - added unity version, corrected a typo

1 Reply 1

Scott Hills
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It sounds as though you are describing a Unity Failover setup.

Per the Unity 7.x System Requirements guide Unity must meet certain requirements to work as expected and be supported:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/requirements/7xcusysreq.html#wp472908

The one that may be causing an issue in this case is: "All software must be installed on the same drive and directories for both primary and secondary servers."

In this case the UnityMTA location not matching between the primary and the secondary server.

I would suggest you go into Tools Depot and make sure that both servers show the same physical location for the UnityMTA. The location should be the path for the shared UnityMTA directory.

I suggest you set the paths to the proper location and then restart Unity. Then see if the system works as expected.

Thanks,

Scott