Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade vrs Migration from 8.6.2 to CUCM 10.5

mal-smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have followed the video upgrading from 8.6 to 10 via PCD, but it showed the migration only.

Our current environment is Virtualized Cucm 8.6.2 on UCS. We wish to upgrade to CUCM 10.5, including Presence, utilising PCD.

1. Is it best to do a migration task, running side by side, and then once I turn the 8.6.2 off, then re-ip 10.5 with same old IP addresses.

OR

2. Perform the upgrade task of the 8.6.2 and then have quite a bit of outage time?

Is the migration task only recommended going from physical to virtualized, or fine for virtualized to virtualized?

Thanks in advance

Mal

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's completely up to you, either option works, as you mention, doing the upgrade on the VMs, might cause an outage depending on how many servers you have, and the CUCM group config.

Yes, migration can be done from physical to virtual, or virtual to virtual.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mal,

An interesting thing to note in the PCD guide is the migration section

Migration to 10.0 Cluster

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases Supported: 6.1(5), 7.1(3), 7.1(5), 8.0(1-3), 8.5(1), 8.6(1-2), 9.0.(1), 9.1(1), 9.1(2)

It lists only the cucm versions that are supported on MCS, whereas the upgrade section lists 10.0 as well.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/ucmap/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U9C58CB1_00_ucmap-administration-guide/CUCM_BK_U9C58CB1_00_ucmap-administration-guide_chapter_011.html#CUCM_TK_R367DAEA_00

However, i did not find any doc that says that 'only' P2V migration is supported.

Unless someone confirms the above, i would suggest going for the well documented upgrade task using PCD.

HTH

Manish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: