cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User leaving VM for someone but they don't get the VM

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Having a client report that 1 user is leaving a VM for a user but the user is saying that they never get the message. I've looked at the CCM detailed traces and see the calling party call in, try the persons phone, then it goes to VM for like 10 seconds then it disconnects fine.

I am seeing no errors in unity event log, or call manager. DBWalker is clean. I ran a subscriber message activity report on Unity and nothing there from this time period.

Is there a report to see inbound calls into unity and who got new messages left for a time period?

This is Unity 4.0(4) VM only system w/TSP 7.0(4).

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I am thinking user error but this user is saying they get this persons VM greeting they are calling, and leave a message, but they never get it. (They ask them if they got their message). The user they are calling is getting VM from other people just fine as far as I know.

I checked the users email boxes through OWA and no new messages there for the time the VMs were left.

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My first guess would be their message was under the minimum message length - messages shorter than this length are pitched (i.e. it assumes it was "hangup noise" and throws it away). With only 10 seconds total from the time it forwards from the phone, by the time they hear the greeting, the record beep and leave a message, that's pretty tight - seems like a possibility here.

You can see what your default minimum length is on the Configuration | Recordings page in the SA - I think it used to be 2 seconds but new installs recently are 1 second messages (after trimming off silence on either end). You may want to ask them how long of a message they're leaving...

There were some errors in log about message dropped because it did not meet min length, 1000ms. so it is set to 1 second but I did not see this warning/error for the time the person left the message and what CCM timestamps were. I wonder if maybe they may have their phone on mute... The CCM and unity server clocks are same and those warnings did not occur around the same time period as when message was left.

I'm suspecting user error of some sort, but they say the person they are leaving VMs for doesn't get the message repeatedly. It's only one user reporting this problem. I'm going to have to try to get them to leave a bunch of VMs while I am watching call viewer, port monitor or something. The call comes in over a Intercluster trunk from another CCM cluster. They have 5 clusters, each with their own unity server and digital networking between sites. This person is calling the persons phone directly though and going into VM the usual way so this isn't a cross-server reply.

Is there some traces or report I can do that lists all new messages left between a time period and who for, from what number, how long, etc?

Thanks.

Erick