Views
Helpful
Replies

Viewmail error -- Citrix -- starting up Outlook hangs

craigp
Level 4
Level 4

Had it working okay on a W2K/Metaframe XP

server using Outlook 2003. Just setup a 2003 server with Presentation Server 4.0 and Office 2003. When loading Outlook it just hangs. Kill it and start again and it indicates it had issues loading tfxext32.dll. If you disable it, Outlook starts just fine and you can indeed play messages within the environment. However, the Viewmail menu options are missing as the plugin is disabled.

If we enable the plugin and start Outlook again it hangs.

Have tried VM versions 4.0.4 and 4.0.5

Anyone else run into this? Any solution.

The server is a HP Proliant DL380 -- not sure if that matters.

15 Replies 15

graeme.watson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve this issue? A customer plans to do exactly the same...

Thanks

No. We are still unable to load the outlook add-in at Outlook startup. By adjusting the speed screen settings (disable legacy audio devices) and excluding the viewmail/outlook files from memory optimization -- the forms will load and work within outlook.

So it is usable just a hassle the first time a person logs into this server and Outlook hangs. Once the add-in is disabled things work okay.

Has anyone gotten any further with this issue? We are experiencing the same problem.

like all crazy Citrix issues and custom files like this dll.... you need to try another angle. If you log into the profile that is work, such as Administrator, does it work fine? If it does, log into the normal user on the box with a new profile and see if it works. Of course it does not because you already tried.

What I have found, is that if find the correct file that needs to be in the Admin profile on Citrix, I can sometimes copy it to the "All Users" profile on the box. I also copy it to the "Default User" profile on the box. Go back and delete the entire profile of your test user. So when you log back into the Citrix box, the new user created, graps the "Default User" settings with that DLL either in the profile, or out of the profile.

This happened to me with SQL files or custom applications that worked fine in Admin profiles, but for whatever reason, the files would never copy over to the new user profile. But if I put a copy in the "Default user" fold, where it was supposed to go... the new user logged in (after I deleted the profile) and it recreated the directory, and copied the file over it need to run.

This could, in theory work for you.

Cheers!

Tommer

_sgrinker_
Level 1
Level 1

Try upgrading your ICA client (whichever you are connecting with) to at least 8.1. All of the computers we had exhibiting this problem were running version 8.0.2 of the Citrix Web Client. Upgrading them to at least 8.1 resolved the issue. Make sure to still disable Memory Optimisation for this server, or at least filter it for ViewMail files. You should also be able to enable Legacy Audio after this as well. I haven't yet tested/verified of problems exist at any higher version than 8.1, but this should hopefully lead you in the right direction.

I am using the most recent PN version (9) and PS 4.0.

I have tried admin/non-admin accounts -- with or without clean profiles and the problem still exists.

As I stated, I have not tested the 9.x client with PS 4.0 in this case. I do know that thus far the 8.1 client appears to be working for both PS 3.0 and PS 4.0 with ViewMail, while the 8.0.2 client failed repeatedly on PS 4.0.

I also tried admin/non-admin along the profile idea as well, but was not able to determine anything. I did notice though that the failing computers were all running the same version of the ICA client. From my best guess, it appears to be some sort of audio driver (or emulation in this case) compatibility that the ViewMail DLL does not like. If you disable Legacy Audio on the server, the DLL is able to load correctly. Time permitting I will try to run some tests with newer clients. If you have the opportunity I would try to downgrade to the 8.1 client, and see what occurs for you.

For what it's worth I upgraded a client to 9.1, and the issue appeared again. Reverting back to 8.1 resolved the issue again though. I'm honestly at a loss for why the 8.1 client specificially works in this scenario. Hopefully a new client revision will come out sometime soon from Citrix, and will remedy the issue again.

I have also tried the latest version of Viewmail 4.11 previously to correct the errror, but it still came down to the Citrix client. I guess we can only hope that one of the two companies will sort this out and release an upgrade/patch, but I'm skeptical it will be addressed.

Have you tried to bypass Citrix. This not the most secure way of course, but what if you tried either of these two scenarios:

- terminal server to the server. (skip citrix and just MS TS)

- At the console, log the user in directly.. (sort of the same as TS, but sometimes TS is the problem)

Might be able to narrow down exactly what is causing it

I'm sure you have also surfed around www.thin-world.com

www.brianmadden.com

www.tokeshi.com

cheers!

I haven't personally tried that, but have found similar threads with this error in regards to just running TS. Citrix was not even mentioned in those posts. I believe some of the threads were on this site.

I also did find a similar thread at Brian Madden's site, and posted my fidings there as well. I didn't really come accross anything at Thin-world or Tokeshi, but then again I didn't explicitly search either of them initially.

I'm not sure that a direct connection is an option for me with those accounts here, but it would definitely shed some more light on the situation. I did notice a post somewhere in the mix it was stated that an RDP connection worked while ICA did not. If anyone else has an opportunity to test other connection methods, I'd definitely be curious in the results.

Cisco Unity with Citrix Server Products FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_qanda_item09186a008010c5cc.shtml

Q. Does Cisco Unity support the use of Citrix products?

A. No, Cisco Technical Support does not support the Citrix product with any version of Cisco Unity.

Q. Is support for Citrix products road-mapped for future versions of Cisco Unity?

A. No, there is currently no plan for any version of Cisco Unity to support Citrix. There is additional information on the Cisco Networking Professional Forum. Search for Citrix under the voice category.

From what we have heard Cisco doesn't "officially" offer support for ViewMail in any environment. Although I have read that statement on the site before posting to the forums, it's worth pointing out the program does work under certain environments in Citrix.

It appears to work fine on Presentation Server 3.0, and also appears to work fine with Presentation Server 4.0 (at least in our environment) if the ICA client is running version 8.1.

I won't go into my thoughts on a company not supporting an application within Citrix here, as it is neither the time nor the place. The fact of the matter is that apparently a good number of people would like this application to work in a Citrix environment, and the least we can do is offer our findings towards a common solution.

That all being said, I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had success with the 8.1 ICA client connecting to Presentation Server 4.0.

Apparently I ended up with a double post, just ignore this edited version...

elbyte
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to get this to work as well. Here is my current configuration:

Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1

Citrix Presentation Server 4.0

Outlook 2003 SP2

With the 8.1 PN client on my Win2k PC, I logged into the server and opened Outlook. Menu items: Tools-ViewMail Options, and Help-About ViewMail were not available. The voicemails in my Inbox were marked with the special Unity icon. When I opened the vm, the Unity control bar loaded and I was able to playback either to my phone or to the Citrix Audio Driver. I then forwared the vm to another user, and this brings me to what I find is the biggest issue here..... The forwarded vm shows up in the user's Outlook inbox. His audio prompt says "new voicemail". It appears in the inbox as a vm with the Unity vm icon. He can open it in Outlook and listen to it, but the MWI does not light up on his phone, and when he dials in to check the message, Unity detects it as an email with an attachment, and will not play it.

With the 9.1 PN Client - Outlook hangs and the user has to close it. When you re-open it, you choose to disable the VM add-in and Outlook then loads. After that, it is the same as using the 8.1 client.

When I use Outlook 2003 SP2 from my XP workstation and forward a voicemail to a user, the vm appears as a voicemail in the target inbox - lighting the MWI and is available to the user if they dial in to check on voicemail.

This is what we need to see happen in the Citrix environment as well!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: