cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ViewMail issue?

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user who recieves the following errors in outlook whenever they attempt to open a voicemail. I am trying to confirm his version levels, know he is at a min on XP, Outlook 2000 and viewmail for 3.1.5 (although I think i recall using 4.x for a few installs as it is supposed to be backward compatible)? I have researched this error here and on Microsoft without success, have you seen it and any suggestions? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled VM but am thinking this may not need to go to workstation guys to look further at outlook?

7 Replies 7

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

I have an open TAC case, 600983251, for problem with the same file AvMMOCtrl.ocx, which is used by the Media Master Controls in the Outlook voice form. Users running VMO 4.0(4) client with Outlook 2000 SP3 can no longer edit the subject line of voice messages. Problem does not occur with Outlook XP or Outlook 2003. We are running 4.0(4) client with Unity 4.0(4) SR1. The problem does NOT occur with VMO 4.0(3)B, meaning we can take the AvMMOCtrl.ocx file from the 4.0(3)B install and back-level it on a user's Outlook 2000 workstation and the problem goes away. However, we need to be at 4.0(4) in prep for Windows XP SP2 deployment.

Regards, Ginger

OK, the topic is digressing a little bit, but your message brings up a question in my mind:

Because of a different problem with VMO 4.0(4) (it cannot play back messages from another subscriber's account using TRAP) we are running VMO 4.0(3)b on Windows XP SP2 without any problems.

Is there something special about XP SP2 that requires VMO 4.0(4)?

XP SP2 comes with a builtin firewall that chokes VMO TRaP in 4.03b and older versions. To get 4.03b to work with XP SP2, the firewall has to be configured to allow incoming VMO TRaP requests, which is what you should have done to get it working. In 4.04, TRaP was redesigned to work around this issue, so you wouldn't have to open up the firewall to get TRaP to work.

A fix for the other problem - not being able to play messages from another subscriber's account - will be available in VMO 4.05.

Ginger - I looked at the case notes for 600983251 and I see that you have already been told about CSCeg35886. I am working with our QA team to see if the root cause for this defect is also causing the symptom you are seeing. If yes, the fix for CSCeg35886 in VMO 4.05 will address both symptoms.

Hi -

Thank you very much for the update! I am eagerly looking forward to 4.0(5) :-)

Sincerely,

Ginger

The QA folks just confirmed that the fix for CSCeg35886

addresses your case. We'll update the bug description to include the message subject too.

vharsha
Level 3
Level 3

I would suggest upgrading from 3.1.5 to 4.03b or if you can wait for another month, upgrade to VMO 4.05.