Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Only or UM?

marinaibm
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

My customer is going to have multiple tenants using one Unity server. Clients will be connected via IMAP to the off-box exchange server. I'm just wondering if such a connection would be considered as UM or VM only?

Thanks in advance

Marina

11 Replies 11

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In a VM only configuration, the message store can contain only voicemail, not email. Please see the link below for confirmation. You could theoretically have separate message stores on the same Exchange server for voicemail and email.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4608/c1612/ccmigration_09186a008022f484.pdf

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Well, they won't have any emails there, just voicemails. There is a separate exchange server and AD for each tenant for that purpose.

What would the IMAP connection be used for?

Brandon

The dedicated exchange server will host the accounts used for voicemail only and will enable tenants to browse through them using an email client (via IMAP )

There is a feature called Cisco Unity Inbox for voicemail only users that allows them to browse their messages through a web browser that you may want to take a look at.

Brandon

jilundain
Level 1
Level 1

As long as Exchange is used for VoiceMail only, you can have IMAP connections with VM-Only licenses.

(Of course, you can also do it with UM)

Here is a good document on this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper0900aecd8031c947.shtml

Cheers,

jaime i.

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just make one thing clear. If you are licensed for vm only, you cannot access your voicemails via outlook, outlook express, imap, pop3, etc. You can only access via phone (TUI) or CiscoPCA. Using IMAP violates your licensing.

Thanks, I do have UM license indeed. Just was wondering if it is really a unified messaging in that situation.

To sum up, unified messaging means that you can check your Voicemails in an e-mail client such as Outlook; and that you can check your e-mails via the phone.

The short answer is NO: IMAP access is not considered Unified Messaging. (Although you can of course have IMAP connections with UM)

For UM you would be storing voicemail together with the subscriber's e-mail, in the same mailbox. Which is not your scenario.

And IMAP access does NOT violate the VM license agreement: You only need to obtain a UNITY-CL-USR (or UNITY-CLO-USR if using Outlook) per subscriber, in addition to the UNITY-VM-USR license of course. (But you already have the UM licenses, so you don't need them).