cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What do I need to run Presence?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine I have CUCM 8.5, Cisco Unity Conn 8.x and Cisco IP phones.

Question:
I am really bit confusing reading the below. Do I still  need or can benefit if I install a dedicated "server" to handle Presence?

I know in the past a dedicated "server" and software was required for Presence.

Now I understand lot of Presence functionality can be handled natively by CUCM 8.5 (not sure if I need to add additional licenses for Presence though).

Then from reading the below, I could gain further functionality if I add a dedicated server for Presence. Is this right?

Source:Implementing CIPT1 Cisco Press , Oct 2010

When using the Cisco Unified Presence Server product, additional features are added to

those provided by the native CUCM Presence feature, including the following:

ā–  Standards-based Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)/SIP for Instant Messaging and

Presence Leveraging Extensions (SIMPLE) network interface

ā–  User status information, not only device (line) status information

ā–  IM capabilities, including integration with third-party servers such as Microsoft

Exchange and IBM SameTime

ā–  Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, which is a client tool that integrates voice,

video, audio conferencing, videoconferencing, and IM communications

When using the Cisco Unified Presence Server product, additional features are added to

those provided by the native CUCM Presence feature, including the following:

ā–  Standards-based Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)/SIP for Instant Messaging and

Presence Leveraging Extensions (SIMPLE) network interface

ā–  User status information, not only device (line) status information

ā–  IM capabilities, including integration with third-party servers such as Microsoft

Exchange and IBM SameTime

ā–  Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, which is a client tool that integrates voice,

video, audio conferencing, videoconferencing, and IM communications

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently with the shipping versions of CUCM 8.X presence is very limited as you can only see couple of states with dedicated BLF buttons, not very scalable. You still need presence engine such as CUPS server to make it true presence solution with ability to federate to other solutions/companies, etc.

Hosted Webex solution is another alternative if you do not want on premise CUPS server.

Chris