cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What's the supported browser(s) on Cius?

Chris Lee
Level 1
Level 1

So what will be running on Cius?  Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc...?

9 Replies 9

Chris Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, let me see if I can narrow the selection down - will it be the stock Android browser, Dolphin, Opera Mini, Skyfire, xScope, or Fennec (aka Firefox Mobile)?  Or is there a darkhorse Cisco specific browser in the works?

kimcneil
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Chris,

browser that comes standard with Android 2.2 is webkit so that would be available.

other browsers would require the browser developer to port their android support to presentation on the Cius display using our v1 Software Developer Kit so the question is best posed to Mozilla etc if they are evaluating a version that could be supported on Cius as an option.

regards,

Kirk McNeill

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Cisco Systems

Hi Kirk,

Glad to see your post

My Cius isn't displaying arabic words when browsing arabic web sites

I think this issue isn't related for Cius to support arabic locale

I think supporting arabic locale in the data sheet mean to see the Cius menus in arabic

But I need to browse arabic web sites but it display un-understood symbols. It can only browse english web sites

I have tried the default browser that built into Cius. Also tried Dolphin with no success

Do you have any advise on that ?

Regards

Haitham

Hello Haitham,

Arabic characters are not natively supported on Froyo (Android 2.2).

Nevetheless, this is fixed on Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0), which is on the roadmap for October 2012, but not committed.

Thank you, Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your care

I found arabic web sites is working properly on my friend's Samsung Galaxy Tab. But I don't know exactly its Android version

So I guess it should work on CIUS as it is Android

So how Cisco will support displaying Arabic characters when browsing websites ?

I think it'll be in future releases and won't be using Arabic Locale. Right ?

Thanks again Marc

Regards

Hi Haitham,

According to Google, the support for Arabic characters was introduced with Android 2.3. Your friend's device is not running Android 2.2 so it shouldn't have any problem.

Nevertheless, Cius is running Android 2.2, which explains why Arabic characters are not displayed properly throughout

The plan is to the system.upgrade Cius to Android 4.0, but it has not been committed yet.

Thank you, Marc

thanks again Marc for your reply

Dear Marc,

We just bought 20 Cius, but we would like upgrade it to Android 3.x or 4.x. Do you know when it gonna happen? Where can i download load it? And How to do it?

Att,

Hello Alan,

Cisco has recently made the decision to ‘no longer invest in the Cisco Cius tablet form factor’, which includes no plans for ICS (Android 4.0), new form factors, or hardware enhancements beyond today’s offer.

Please take a moment to review the Cius update from our Collaboration SVP, OJ Winge - http://blogs.cisco.com/collaboration/empowering-choice-in-collaboration/

We apologize for the inconvenience and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you, Marc