Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing CUCM IP to FQDN

abdul rasheed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

Even though there are a lot of threads for changing CUCM IP address to FQDN, I need to make sure I will not break my IPT in the process.

I have the following in my UC environment:

1) CUCM (Configured with IP under System>Server. Has no DNS server or domain name configured)

2) CUC (Configured with IP. Has no DNS server or domain name configured)

3) UCCX (with FQDN configured but currently pointing to wrong DNS server [My system administrator changed the DNS server !!])

4) Cisco IMP (Configured with IP. Has no DNS server or domain name configured)

I plan to do the following:

1) Set the DNS server and domain name on CUCM , CUC, and IMP from CLI.

2) Change the IP address to FQDn from GUI

3) Change the DNS server of UCCX from CLI

My Concerns are:

1) We need to rehost the license file of UCCX?

2) Do we want to remove the products from Cisco Prime license manager before changing the DNS and Domain parameters?

3) What are the services will be affected between UCCX and CUCM during/after this process?

Looking your kind support.

Thanks

Abdul Rasheed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Answer: Yes, you will need to rehost the license file as you are going to change the primary DNS server. Before doing this, simply capture the current License MAC by issuing "show status" command from UCCX Primary CLI and once you have changed this proceed with reboot of system and capture it again. Once you have got the old and new License MAC simply provide both to the Cisco Licensing Team and they will provide you the rehosted license.

2) Do we want to remove the products from Cisco Prime license manager before changing the DNS and Domain parameters?

Answer: There is no need to delete and re-add the product instance in PLM since it is only required when you change the IP Address or hostname of product instance. Refer below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_U9B156B7_00_user-guide-rel-1052.pdf

Note: In case you have defined CM product instance using hostname in PLM currently then please delete it and then re-add the FQDN post changing the DNS/Domain name information on CUCM. If it had ben defined using IP Address, then no need to worry

3) What are the services will be affected between UCCX and CUCM during/after this process?

Answer: No impact on UCCX on CUCM whatsoever. Only the IP phones will need to be reset (best to do this activity in maintenance window) so that they can download the new SEP<MAC>.cnf.xml as the servers that are part of the CUCM group currently will now be showing FQDN instead of hostname

Regards

Deepak

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Answer: Yes, you will need to rehost the license file as you are going to change the primary DNS server. Before doing this, simply capture the current License MAC by issuing "show status" command from UCCX Primary CLI and once you have changed this proceed with reboot of system and capture it again. Once you have got the old and new License MAC simply provide both to the Cisco Licensing Team and they will provide you the rehosted license.

Answer: There is no need to delete and re-add the product instance in PLM since it is only required when you change the IP Address or hostname of product instance. Refer below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_U9B156B7_00_user-guide-rel-1052.pdf

Note: In case you have defined CM product instance using hostname in PLM currently then please delete it and then re-add the FQDN post changing the DNS/Domain name information on CUCM. If it had ben defined using IP Address, then no need to worry

Answer: No impact on UCCX on CUCM whatsoever. Only the IP phones will need to be reset (best to do this activity in maintenance window) so that they can download the new SEP<MAC>.cnf.xml as the servers that are part of the CUCM group currently will now be showing FQDN instead of hostname

Regards

Deepak

Hello Mr. Deepak,

Thanks a lot for your quick response and I am sorry for the late feedback.

Dear Mr. Deepak,

I am going to do the following:

Step 1) Add the A and PTR records for CUCM(s) and IMP in the enterprise DNS server.

Step 2) Modiffy the Voice VLAN DHCP Pool to provide DNS server(s) and domain name.

Step 3) Check the name resoultion using nslook up.

Step 4) Add the primary and secondary DNS servers in the following order:

Fisrt: CUCM publisher

Second: CUCM subscriber

Finally: IMP Publisher.(Is the order correct ? Do we need a restart? If yes, in whcih order)

Step 5) Add the domail name from CLI in the following order:

Fisrt: CUCM publisher

Second: CUCM subscriber

Finally: IMP Publisher.(Is the order correct ? Do we need a restart? If yes, in whcih order)

Step 6) Under System>Servers>Change the IP address to the FQDN

Thanks a lot for your kind support and waiting for your valuable suggestion.

Abdul