Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Presence - External File Server

heathrw
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Just wanting to understand what software and/or applications people are using as the external file server for the managed file transfer function and if it is operating smoothly. If you can post what you are using that would be great. Looking for a low cost stable solution and easy to manage.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use any Linux distribution you want

Note the following requirements for the external file server.

• Subject to file server capacity, each IM and Presence Service node requires its own unique logical file server directory, however, nodes can share the same physical file server installation.

• The file server must support an ext4 file system, SSHv2, and SSH tools.

• The file server must support OpenSSH 4.9 or later.

• The network throughput between IM and Presence Service and the external file server must be greater than 60 megabytes per second.

I believe CentOS also supports it recent releases, you can google that file system to find other alternatives.

I use Ubuntu server and works just fine. That one is free, and how "easy" to manage will depend on your knowledge of Linux.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently running CentOS there are a ton of resources on how to do it, every page looks like a different approach. I will look at Ubuntu.

If you have any URLs that you referred to get this operational that would be a great help thanks.

The config guide for IM&P, just search IM&P managed file transfer and you'll get the guides, pick the one for your version. You'll have to do some more tweaking than what's mentioned in the guide, depending on the Linux distribution, not sure which one was used to write the steps, but it certainly was not Ubuntu.

I'm hoping to start making a video on that, with all the steps for ubuntu, really soon.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: