cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUMC for Blackberry is EoL

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps7271/end_of_life_notice_c51-663502.html

Now that CUMC (Cisco Mobile 7 for Blackberry) was announced EoL, the recommended migration is RIM's MVS client 5.0. Does MVS client solution offer old CUMC 7 features like mobile presence, visual voicemail, corporate directory access, and access to office call logs?

2 Replies 2

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Roman

We're still at the early stages of deploying MVS 5.0, so I will do my best to help here. Where I'm not certain about an answer, I'll highlight it:

1. BES Express. It's not on the list of supported BES platforms which is:

Any of the following BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software:

• BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.1 SP7 or later for Microsoft® Exchange
  • BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 or later for Microsoft Exchange
  • BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.1 SP7 or later for IBM® Lotus® Domino®
  • BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 or later for IBM Lotus Domino
  • BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.1 SP7 or later for Novell® GroupWise®
  • BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 or later for Novell GroupWiseMVS actually uses the same underlying database as BES. I'm not an expert on BES Express, however if it uses the same database structure as BES, then it possibly should work. However, it probably won't be supported by RIM.

2. Mobile Presence: Not from what I've seen. The MVS client doesn't have any Presence capabilities from the testing that we've done.

3. Visual Voicemail: There is a mechanism to synchronize the MWI light on the handheld with your desk phones via SIP notify. As an aside, we haven't been able to get this to work, however that is probably my (lack of) configuration skills.

4.Corporate Directory Access: No. I highlighted this to RIM a number of months ago. It surely couldn't be hard to include an XML based app on the handheld to query the CUCM directory...

Other than the above, the solution IMHO is really good. it works well and is reliable. The additional features that it brings (Voice over Wifi, PBX or handheld initiated dialling over GSM) are really useful and in the deployments we've done have reduced or eliminated huge portions of mobile calling charges. A word of warning: the documentation with respect to configuring CUCM for MVS is pretty poor and our first configuration attempts were very much trial and error (and a huge amount of cheering and back slapping when we got it to work).

MVS 5.1 has just been announced by RIM, but as far as I've see thus far, this simply extends PBX support to Avaya / Nortel PBXs, adds some additional user features (notifying when WiFi support is getting unusable) and adding a Universal SIP connector for 3rd party PBXs etc to use.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

HTH. Barry

P.S. Sorry about the formatting of this response. I've had to copy and paste from IE9 into Chrome as these forums don't work properly with it and the formatting has been lost.

jwines
Level 1
Level 1

Now that CUMC (Cisco Mobile 7 for Blackberry) was announced EoL, the recommended migration is RIM's MVS client 5.0. Does MVS client solution offer old CUMC 7 features like mobile presence,

no

visual voicemail,

no but you are notified when a message is on your phone.

corporate directory access,

believe so

and access to office call logs?

a missed call will show up on your device... so if you were logged in to mvs. yes it will show up.  overall it is a very good Blackberry only solution.