cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESXi 5-VMFS and Provisioning

balukr
Level 2
Level 2

I already posted this in Netpro, I have not seen any response so I thought I'll posted here since BU Engineers check this forum on a regular basis. Since this is not a tech forum I'll keep it short

We have installed ESXi 5 on C-210 M2 servers for one of our customer, I have two questions since this is the first time I'm doing ESXi 5

1. When I add the Datastore there are two options for FS, VMFS3 (legacy hosts supported) and VMFS5 (advanced options supported). Which one is Cisco supported for UC Apps, is it VMFS3 or VMFS5 ? if both are supported then I would like to know which one is better or cisco recommended, customer is going to install CUCM,CNXN and UCCX on these servers.

2. When I import the OVA template for CUCM 8.6 using "cucm_8.6_vmv8_v1.5.ova"  it is opting for "Thick Provisioned Lazy Zeroed" and Thick Provisioned Eager Zeroed " Again which one is Cisco recommended and supported by TAC?

I coudn't find any of these information in docwiki.

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies 2

m.nickel
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I opened  a  Cisco SR  concerning the VMFS question ,

the answer of Cisco TAC was:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legacy hosts literally means old infrastructure or old machines where the latest file systems might be problematic on some instances.

There is a detailed description of the file system VMFS 5 on this link : http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=2003813

I would consider the VMFS 5 to be the best option to use for installing the ESX, keeping in mind that formatting the file system has no direct relevance on the behavior of the applications on top of the OS except for better performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kind regards

Michael

jburk
Level 1
Level 1

This good Doc refers to using 'Lazy Zeroed' for Thick Provision when deploying

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Implementing_BE_6000_9.0