Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with IPMA CUCM Configuration

HamzaD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I am trying to do the IPMA configuration on CUCM V11.5.1 in order to enable the Manager Assistant configuration.

I was referring to a cisco doc to do so (link to this doc).

The problem I am facing is at step 5: "Configure Manager Enduser" instead of having the MAC address in Manager Information field, the scroll menu "Device Name/Profile*" appear empty and the same case in the "Controlled lines" (empty field)  (See image in attachements).

P.S: I followed all the pervious steps without any problem.

Is anyboby know or has some suggestions for sharing ?

Thanks in advance :) 

Ha.

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wow, someone is actually trying to use IPMA! It has been about a decade since I last saw this in use.

Is the manager’s phone properly associated to their account as a controlled device on the normal End User Configuration page? I believe that’s the prerequisite for it to appear on the IPMA config.

Thanks for your reply Jonathan,

I checked what you proposed and it is properly associated to their account!

As you said it is been a while since you last saw IPMA in use, would you tell me what to use instead of it please, because I am new in VoIP.

Thank you again.

IPMA serves a niche use case but, at least in the US, it's fairly rare. Here's the qualifying questions I ask a user and the resulting configuration each requires:

1. Does the manager's phone receive incoming calls directly or does the assistant intercept all incoming calls?
    1. If YES (the manager receives calls directly): Should the assistant's phone also ring whenever the manager receives a call?
      1. If YES: Provision the manager's extension as a shared line on the assistant's phone.
      2. If YES but only after a delay: Configure BLF Call Pickup with an audible/visual notification after X seconds.
      3. If NO: Configure BLF and optionally BLF Call Pickup but without an audible/visual notification.
    2. If NO (the assistant intercepts all calls): Configure Call Forward All on the manager's extension to the assistant's extension and enable the CFA Destination Override Service Parameter. Also configure a BLF on the assistant's phone. The assistant's extension will receive calls and then transfer them back to the manager's extension. The manager can turn off CFA when they wish to answer their own calls. If the users reject this configuration for some reason your only other option would be IPMA in proxy line mode.
  2. Does the manager ever need the assistant to quickly barge into a call that the manager is speaking on (e.g. to take notes)?
    1. If YES: The manager's extension must be a shared line on the assistant's phone. Re-evaluate the impact this has to incoming calls. If acceptable, configure Barge or cBarge on the assistant's phone, enable Built-in Bridge on the manager's phone, and disable Privacy on the manager's phone.
    2. If NO: No action required.
  3. Does the assistant ever need to make outgoing calls from the manager's extension? This may be desirable to show the manager's caller ID and/or be able to make an outbound call and simply put it on hold for the manager instead of having to transfer it to them.
    1. If YES: The manager's extension must be a shared line on the assistant's phone. Re-evaluate the impact this has to incoming calls. If acceptable, add the manager's extension to the assistant's phone.
  4. Does the manager and assistant need an intercom function?
    Caveat: This feature is only supported on physical phones and cannot be shared across multiple phones as a normal extension can be.
    1. If YES: Clarify whether this is a 1:1 intercom between a single manager and their assistant or a 1:many intercom. The later is rare but possible if the same assistant supports multiple managers.

@Jonathan Schulenberg thank you so much of yor helpfull information and tips :)

One more thing, can I make a Manager assistant configuration just by using Partitions and CSS?? (without IPMA)

"Manager assistant configuration" isn't descriptive enough. You need to identify the functionality the users need and map that to features provided by CUCM.

Hi HamzaD!

did you maybe manage to resolve lack of "Device Name/Profile*" in Manager configuration? Seem to be hitting the same issue on CUCM 14