cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick UCM/Unity 7.x Hold Queue Question

mparella
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if it was possible to create an automated "hold queue" in either UCM or Unity?  Specifically, we would like to have a call automatically placed in a queue if no one picks it up in a given amount of time.  We would prefer to have some kind of greeting also played to notify the callers they are being placed in the queue.  The other challenge would be notifying the individuals fielding the calls that there were calls in the queue.

Can this be done natively in UCM or Unity or is this advanced functionality I would only get in say Contact Center?

Will rate posts.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Realistically this is the kind of thing you need Contact Center for I'm afraid.

You can do *some* of this with Call Handlers in Unity / Unity Connection - but this basically goes as far as playing a message to callers, and then sending the call somewhere else (for example back around a hunt group).

A relatively common implementation that I've done for customers is to:

1. Route the call into a hunt group.

2. If the call isn't picked up by the hunt group it diverts to a Unity Connection Call Handler.

3. The caller is then played a message, and given the choice of continuing to hold (call is sent back to the hunt pilot) or leave a VM (call is transferred to a VM box).

Queuing it isn't, but it does some of what you are after.

It's nowhere near as sophisticated as what you get with Contact Centre. If you want real queuing, with real stats with real agent availability, then UCCX is the way to go.

HTH. Barry

Thanks Barry.  Your suggestion sounds like a good one, I think we'll test that out and see what the feedback is.  One quick last question - Do you know of a way to prevent the caller from being played  the "ringing" when the call is sent back to the hunt pilot? My thought is it could get a bit annoying to constantly hear that while the call makes it's away around the various DNs? 

Thanks again!

No problems.. glad to be of assistance.

I can't think of a way to supress the ringing I'm afraid..... UCCX sorts this one out by placing the caller on hold whilst it is trying to find someone to field the call.

Just to be clear, both Unity and Connection do support a bit more than given credit for here...

They CAN do call holding where if a number is busy the caller is (optionally) given the choice to hold or leave a message or is automatically put on hold with a prompt indicating that.  The first person in queue tries the number every X seconds (adjustable in advanced settings) and everyone behind the person in front hears a cycle of hold music and then are given the opportunity to continue holding or leaving a message.

it's not _nearly_ as sophisticated as contact center (agent views into queue stacks, estimated wait times, queue position reporting etc...) but it's somewhat better than being limited to flinging calls blindly around in call handlers...

Really good point. I must be working too hard; of course it can.

From now on I'm going to listen when my wife tells me to stop working and come and watch TV ;-)

Barry

Great thinking!  I appreciate both of your input.    I'm going to give this a try tonight, we'll see how it goes.