cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding memory to B200 M2 - Procedure?

JEFFREY SESSLER
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to add memory to an existing B200 M2 blade that's associated with service profile and is in use. Do I need to do anything more than to shut down the blade/OS, pull it, add RAM, re-install, power up?

Given that the blade is going back to the same slot and will continue to be associated with the same service profile, I'm not sure if I must go through a server-maint, and decommission just to add RAM.

thanks

2 Replies 2

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You could potentially do it and it should work.

But I would recommend a disassociate from the SP, populate memory, server rediscovery to see if the added memory is discovered (as viewed in the inventory tab) etc and then re-associate.

Thanks

--Manish

So what I did was to shut down the host OS (VMware), remove the blade, populate the new memory, and re-install the blade.

On two of the blades, I removed six 4GB RDIMMs and added six 8GB RDIMMs back. For those two blades, UCS did not detect the memory (it still thought it had six 4GB) so I had to run a maint re-acknowledge. On two other blades, I added an additional six 4GB RDIMMs to the existing six 4GB, and UCS did find the new memory once the blade was re-installed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card