Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Architecture UCS

Hi, I have a newbie question in UCS. We want to buy Cisco Blade servers and many people offer us different type of configurations and do not know what to chose. One configuration has cisco chassis and cisco blade servers, and the chassis has fabric extenders. Do I have to connect a fabric extender to a fabric interconnect? Or can I connect a fex to nexus 5548? And if this is possible, can I connect a pre existing SAN to the nexus 5548?
This question is because some people offered me chasis + fabric interconnect 6300 + nexus 5548 (where I could connect some pre existing things) and I want to know I i can avoid fi 6300.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cisco Blade Servers in Cisco Chasis + IOM (FEX) inside it. Then I connect it to two fabric interconnects for example Cisco 6300 series. And then I can connect this two FI s to ethernet data uplink and to a san (brocade based). Is this correct?

Yes correct !

Can I connect to a 4gb fc san switch (with the proper licenses)???

yes correct !

On FI6200 and in particular FI6300 there so called universal ports, which means they can be Ethernet or FC ? And therefore you just a generic port license

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

see eg.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-6120xp-20-port-fabric-interconnect/110267-ucs-uplink-ethernet-connection.html

Do I have to connect a fabric extender to a fabric interconnect?

to be very clear, the fabric extender in UCS is called IOM, not to be confused by the other standalone FEX's

Or can I connect a fex to nexus 5548?

if fex = IOM => NO

can I connect a pre existing SAN to the nexus 5548

I assume by 5548 you don't mean UCS FI ? Yes, if you have the proper license, fibreconverters,.....

and of course, the UCS fabric interconnect can be connected to any SAN !

and I want to know I i can avoid fi 6300

No !! the UCS FI is the heart of any UCS domain, where you run e.g. UCS Manager; therefore all chassis with their IOM have to connected to the fi.

So, I can create this architecture:

Cisco Blade Servers in Cisco Chasis + IOM (FEX) inside it. Then I connect it to two fabric interconnects for example Cisco 6300 series. And then I can connect this two FI s to ethernet data uplink and to a san (brocade based). Is this correct?

Thank you very much

Yes correct !

yes correct !

On FI6200 and in particular FI6300 there so called universal ports, which means they can be Ethernet or FC ? And therefore you just a generic port license

Thank you very much, and happy new year!

You are welcome ! same to you !

Cheers

Walter.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card