cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B200M4/ESXi6 connectivity loss after reboot

spiffman192
Level 1
Level 1

I've been banging my head against this wall for long enough, so I am hoping someone can shed some light on where things have gone so wrong.

I recently deployed a UCS environment consisting of the following:

• 5108 w/ 5xB200 M4 blades
  • 2 x 6248 (2.2 (5a))
  • EMC VNXe 5200 (direct connected iSCSI)
  • vSphere 6u1
    • ESXi 6u1a (Cisco custom image) with KB2137546 patch and enic 2.1.2.71

The FIs uplink to a pair of 3850s (stacked).

The hosts and VMs have been exhibiting intermittent connectivity issues and poor performance.  Consistently, if I reboot the host, ESXi management connectivity is lost until I reset the management network within ESXi. 

From the vSphere side, I have a pair of vmnics on the management VLAN as well as other production VLANs, and a pair of vmnics for iSCSI.  One standard vSwitch for mgmt. and production traffic (teaming based on Port ID), and a second standard vSwitch for iSCSI traffic (no teaming). 

I have tried a number of things to troubleshoot and resolve the issue. Recently, I discovered the critical issue with 2.2(5a) and poor performance on B200 M4 blades.  I upgraded the software to 2.2(5b) this past weekend with no resolution. 

At this point, if I reboot a host with two vmnics on the mgmt. vSwitch, the host will have NO mgmt. connectivity.  If I reset the management network, it responds to pings.  If I remove a vmnic and reboot, everything reboots happy, albeit without redundancy. 

If I leave the two vmnics on the mgmt. vSwitch and reboot, no connectivity.  But if I disable one of the NICs in UCS manager, it starts to respond to pings.  As soon as I re-enable the NIC in UCSM, pings are dropped.

So, I'm at a loss.  Any insight?  Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Sounds like you may be hitting https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuv00089/?reffering_site=dumpcr

You might want to open a tac case to confirm.  If that is the issue, then an upgrading to 2.25c or higher will resolve.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Sounds like you may be hitting https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuv00089/?reffering_site=dumpcr

You might want to open a tac case to confirm.  If that is the issue, then an upgrading to 2.25c or higher will resolve.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Yep, that looks to be it.  vmk0 (mgmt) was taking the MAC of nic1.  recreated vmk0 and everyone's happy.  Thanks!

p.s. 2.2(5c) and (6c) are not publicly available, correct?

Currently 2.2(5d) and 2.2(6e) are currently the latest and available for download.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283612660&softwareid=283655658&release=2.2(6c)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thanks,

Kirk..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card