cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C220 M3 LSI MegaRAID 9266-8i Virtual Drives Disappear

Matthew Kopp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I hope somebody can help me with this. I've had this server powered down for about two months and it was working fine. I powered it on to install VMware ESXi 5.5 or 6. When I checked the RAID controller there were not any virtual drives created which is not out of the ordinary because another engineer was using this prior to me. I created the virtual drives and every time the server reboots they disappear.

I can boot to the VMware CD and while it is starting up I am able to setup a new virtual drive through the CIMC. At that point, I can install VMware with out an issues but as soon as I reboot at the end of the installation the virtual drive disappears. I've run the latest version of the Host Update Utility and everything went well and is at the latest version of code. I disabled everything in the Option ROM except for the RAID controller. Does anybody have any suggestions on what the issue could be? Please let me know.

Matt

19 Replies 19

Hi Jason, I did not get this fixed. I just started to look at it again and I need to open a TAC Case but I don't currently have smartnet on this hardware because it was purchased to use for demos. I will let you know if I make any progress. Please let me know as well.

Thanks for the update, I'll let you know if I figure something out.  I am going to try to downgrade the firmware tonight to see if things work correctly on an older version.

So tonight I started back flashing through different versions of the BIOS / CIMC / RAID firmware and nothing seemed to work.  I am currently back to 1.5(7e)+same bundled LSI firmware and the arrays are still getting blown away on each reboot.  One interesting thing is that I did throw 2 sas drives from another server into ports 7 and 8 on my server, setup a quick raid 0 and that config did seem to stick while the sata raid 0 with the 4 500GB drives was blown away.

By chance are you using Seagate Constellation.2 drives?

Mine are ST9500620NS  500GB drives.  They seem to be the issue.  I am back on the latest firmware/BIOS/raid firmware and all other drives seem to hold their raid config.  Both sas and sata drives other than the supplied Cisco 500GB drives work correctly.

-Jason

I have to check when I get back but I'm pretty sure they are Seagate. I'm going to get two new drives and see if that fixes it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card