cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can resolve iscsi vnic mac but can’t ping

NaelShahid
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with iscsi boot with or without appliance ports. I tested without appliance ports to rule out a configuration error within the appliance cloud. Basically, I can’t ping the iscsi vnics from the storage or an SVI on the upstream network….. However, I CAN resolve the mac address of the iscsi vnic from both the SVI and the storage. I have been able to resolve the mac address when using appliance ports and now going via an upstream network. I have followed the guides and using the correct native vlans etc etc.. Connectivity is obviously in place as I can flush and the ARP and each and every time get the correct mac address.

The iscsi initiator throws up the good old “Initialisation Error 1”. I am using 2.1(3a)..

2 Replies 2

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi neal,

I noticed nobody answered your question yet so I thought I might as well try to help you. Now I don't have your exact setup in front of me to have a look at. We have succesfully deployed boot from iSCSi in our environment. What I can tell you that we are unable to ping our iSCSI interfaces until your boot ROM is loaded succesfully and Windows is loaded. The fact that you can see the ARP entry is because your Fabric Interconnects run in End-Host Mode and your vNIC is already connected to a vEth port.

I think in your case the first goal is to get your boot ROM loaded sucessfully. There are some good blogs that describe how to configure it. And if you might try to use Jumbo Frames as well make sure you have configured that end-to-end correctly. If you have any questions about things to configure feel free to ask.

Boudewijn

Hi – Thanks for the response. I did manage to sort the issue after releasing the fact that I could not ping the iscsi vnics was to be expected!! What through me was the fact that the troubleshooting guides state to ping the vnics, but no mention of the boot ROM.. Once I worked this out my attention focused elsewhere where I found an issue related to the storage and not UCS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card