Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Name of ESXi Hosts in Hyperflex Cluster

IC2317
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have existing running Hyperflex cluster with HX version 4.0.2c and vCenter/ESXi hosts 6.7 U3. Hyperflex cluster has DNS  suffix that is domain XXXX.com and ESXi hosts name is esx1.XXXX.com, esx2.XXXX.com and so on.

Can we change the name of the ESXi hosts to esx1.YYYY.com(Basically change the DNS suffix) and also DNS suffix of Hyperflex cluster to different domain YYYY.com.

If yes, then can someone please provide the steps to do so.

7 Replies 7

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @IC2317 

Although this is a task I have not had to perform, I remember hearing that it is not as strightforward as just renaming the hosts and updating DNS - there are local host files to be considered as well.

I don't have an environment where I can test it, but this article might help https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010821

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, VMware ESXi hosts renaming is straightforward. However, I am looking for information about the impact on hyperflex cluster or recommended approach from Cisco if we want to rename the esxi hosts that are part of Hyperflex cluster.

I don't know what would be the impact on HX cluster if remove the host from cluster and then rename and add it back. Will cisco HX cluster detect that change or will it cause issues.

Avirn
Level 1
Level 1

@IC2317 Did you performed this activity?.I am also facing the same issue .Please let me know if you got any help on this

SulemanKhalil
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem too, any luck guys ?

WUR
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SulemanKhalil
Level 1
Level 1

The easiest way Cisco proposed are the following.

1. Login to each ESXi host over ssh using the root user, you can check the current hostname with the command esxcli system hostname get, you'll see something like this:

[root@Server-1:~] esxcli system hostname get
   Domain Name: hxlab.com
   Fully Qualified Domain Name: Server-1.hxlab.com
   Host Name: Server-1

1. Then change the hostname to the desired one, in my case I changed it to Server-1-Test, then restart the hostd service:

ā€‚ā€‚    [root@Server-1:~] esxcli system hostname set --host=Server-1-Test
ā€‚ā€‚ā€‚ [root@Server-1-Test:~] /etc/init.d/hostd restart

1. You can check the hostname once more with the command in step 1:

ā€‚ā€‚ā€‚ā€‚[root@San-Jose-Server-1:~] esxcli system hostname get
   ā€‚ā€‚ā€‚Domain Name: hxlab.com
   ā€‚ā€‚ā€‚Fully Qualified Domain Name: Server-1-Test.hxlab.com
   ā€‚ā€‚ā€‚Host Name: Server-1-Test

Repeat the same process in all of the ESXi servers where you need to change the node name.

Once you finish, then connect to each HyperFlex node (172.18.54.221 to 172.18.54.224) over ssh using your admin credentials and run the following commands in one controller VM at a time:

hxshell:~$ priv service stMgr stop
stMgr stop/waiting

hxshell:~$ priv service stMgr start
stMgr start/running, process 15426

After you have done it, logout and log back in to the HyperFlex Connect GUI, you'll see that the Node name has been changed. 
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card